Using PCZ SceneManager for interiors

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Yacoby

Using PCZ SceneManager for interiors

Post by Yacoby »

Probably post 1.0, but I was wondering about the logistics of dynamically dividing an interior cell into zones. Most cells would be suitable for this and it would hugely reduce the amount of rendering in interiors (I will admit exteriors are more of a problem w.r.t rendering speed)

Of course the hard bit is dividing it into zones, but it wouldn't need to be anywhere near optimal. It would hard to do in real time as it would lead to longer loading times, but if you do long running tasks in another thread with Bullet or copy the Bullet world and do a long running task there then it may be possible to convert the cell to use zones at some point after the player has entered the cell.

The main issue I could see is if someone was moving statics or enabling/disabling them which would mess up the PCZ generation but this is (I think) rare and could be worked around by using doors to work out if an area is reachable, and if it isn't leave it visible to all zones (which I would assume is possible).

Meh. A concept. Vague bit of interest in the algorithm for finding the zones. Could be quite a good performance improver if the amount rendered in cells ever becomes an issue.
Zini

Re: Using PCZ SceneManager for interiors

Post by Zini »

I think subdividing interior cell automatically is almost impossible, but at least highly impracticable. For exactly the reasons you mentioned. However once we have our own editor, we could allow the content developer to set up these divisions manually.