Updated Doors

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
pvdk

Re: Updated Doors

Post by pvdk »

Yes I found that video myself when looking up Prey like portals. We'll see what the modders come up with when OpenMW is ready to support such features.
Yacoby

Post by Yacoby »

I doubt this would be modable. You would need really good background loading and all sorts of complex things (RTT, multiple scenes etc). In other words probably better to write it into the engine rather than on top of.

As mentioned, the fact that interiors and exteriors don't line up wouldn't be a problem if you used a portal like thing. I would imagine the biggest pain would be background loading and Physics.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Regardless of implementation, I think this is a post-1.0 feature. I know it'd be nice to start coding it in now, because it's going to need a lot of design considerations, but I think we should keep 1.0 our priority, and not let something like this slow us down.

I may be a bit biased though, because at least when playing Morrowind in OpenMW, I wouldn't use this feature. I'm too much of a purist...
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

It is not a 1.0 thing was underlined in the first very post... it is just a friendly chat.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Ah sorry... I tend to just read the new posts in a thread, not the whole thing. :( Nevermind me! :)
Chris

Post by Chris »

Can't this be done as a normal mod? I think that would work best... instead of trying to make the core engine change the design of maps, just change the maps themselves. Scripting and models will need consideration when making walk-in caves or moving doors, which is something best left to modders instead of having the engine make the changes.

Best part is, if done right it can work in vanilla Morrowind and OpenMW will Just Work(tm) with it when the engine is in a better state to handle such things.
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

My original post had nothing to do with portals.(prey? come on, when people think of portals, they think of the game named Portal)
It simply has to do with collision/proximity activated doors, exactly like the ones in Skyrim. I did suggest this was a post 1.0 feature, but in reality all that would have to be done is to add another door type that uses collision/proximity activation instead of activation through a mouse click or key press etc. I know coding can difficult, but in this case(unless you guys have made the door code entangle everything) it shouldnt be all that hard to do and I really do think it could be fit in pre 1.0, I am not who dictates what gets done however.

As for the portal stuff, that I do not think would be all that simple to do. Like mentioned, alot of interiors are larger than the exteriors they inhabit and it would look kinda weird in alot of cases I think.

As for doing my idea with mods, yes, you could attach a script to a mesh and have it activate, but for every door like that, it introduces another script and this makes it rather not as great. The next best thing is to simply have an invisible mesh that gets activated like a normal MW door but that still isnt the simply walk into type thing.
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

Tarius wrote:My original post had nothing to do with portals.(prey? come on, when people think of portals, they think of the game named Portal)
When I think to the game Portal I think to the portal gun. In Prey I think to the portals that connect rooms as we would need in Morrowind. Beside Prey predates Portal.