Time passing while in some menus

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
thegriglat

Time passing while in some menus

Post by thegriglat »

It would be nice to have an option which disables/enables time pause in the inventory menu (it is even in wishlist).

Recently I posted related topic in Off Topic, but I think Feature request/Suggestions is a better place.
drummyfish

Re: Time passing while in some menus

Post by drummyfish »

I think it would be nice. There are questions though:

1. Which menus would be affected?
2. What if you're talking to somebody and they get killed? Or you get too far away (by falling etc.)?
3. What if you're manipulating an item in your inventory and some running script removes it?

EDIT: I mean these may not really be hard to solve, but we have to agree how. I think it wouldn't be good if items could disappear from under your cursor during drag-and-drop for example.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

According to some discussions on TES3MP that I've followed, there are a few dialogues/quests/scripts that break if 'realtime' time is used (i.e. become uncompleteable, spawn infinite dialogue loops, etc.)
thegriglat

Post by thegriglat »

Hi all,

1. Only inventory menu affected, the main menu still causes game pause (seems to be OK)
2. If you start dialogue and NPC get killed or became inaccessible dialogue will continue (bug)
3. Not tested yet. But I think an item will be removed from inventory (problem)

Yes, there are some cases which cause infinite dialogue. For example, if more than two guards try to arrest you.
Tes96

Post by Tes96 »

thegriglat wrote: 01 Dec 2017, 14:41 Hi all,

1. Only inventory menu affected, the main menu still causes game pause (seems to be OK)
2. If you start dialogue and NPC get killed or became inaccessible dialogue will continue (bug)
3. Not tested yet. But I think an item will be removed from inventory (problem)

Yes, there are some cases which cause infinite dialogue. For example, if more than two guards try to arrest you.
I would love real time dialogue menus. And to avoid the problem with multiple guards coming up to you if your crime is detected, the mechanics could be altered so that as soon as one guard initiates dialogue with you, the remaining guards won't start dialogue with you and will not engage in attack. if you resist arrest, then all the guards that were chasing you will attack you. There could be the problem that two guards initiate dialogue with you at the exact same point in time, but that seems unlikely since the game probably calculates time down to the millisecond.
davidcernat

Post by davidcernat »

scrawl wrote: 30 Nov 2017, 18:43 According to some discussions on TES3MP that I've followed, there are a few dialogues/quests/scripts that break if 'realtime' time is used (i.e. become uncompleteable, spawn infinite dialogue loops, etc.)
Actually, I'd say it works remarkably well, and – off the top of my head – I can't even come up with examples where things are broken. The infinite dialogue loops were fixed half a year ago (albeit in a way that could theoretically cause problems in edge cases).
Tes96 wrote: 18 Dec 2017, 21:22 I would love real time dialogue menus. And to avoid the problem with multiple guards coming up to you if your crime is detected, the mechanics could be altered so that as soon as one guard initiates dialogue with you, the remaining guards won't start dialogue with you and will not engage in attack. if you resist arrest, then all the guards that were chasing you will attack you. There could be the problem that two guards initiate dialogue with you at the exact same point in time, but that seems unlikely since the game probably calculates time down to the millisecond.
Try it in TES3MP, it's already implemented like that.
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

Any chance we can get that backported from TES3MP to OpenMW as a configuration option (off by default in OpenMW, must be on in TES3MP)?
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Someone will have to create a PR and then convince Zini/Scrawl that it's something worth having pre-1.0, but they're the only hurdles.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Please lets not add anymore options pre-1.0 that should be done post-1.0. This will only create more work for everyone later on.

But it is a good idea. I will add it to my post 1.0 design document (almost at 50 pages now, definitely more than half done).

To be clear, this would not just be a simple flag that can be set in the user settings. A post-1.0 mod developers who wants to take advantage of this feature, would at least have to make sure the no-break mode would not break any content (quests and so on) in the vanilla game and include patches in his addon where needed.

A developer of a TC could of course build his game from the ground up with no-break mode in mind.