OpenMW desperately needs a Flatpak

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Veritate

Re: OpenMW desperately needs a Flatpak

Post by Veritate »

OK, so I have been playing the OpenMW Flatpak for a while now and I can fortunately report that I didn't encounter any bugs so far. I tested on Fedora 27 (Wayland) and briefly Kubuntu 17.10 (Xorg), by the way. The next interesting thing to try would probably be the upgrading process from 0.42 to 0.43 when that one is ready.

What I had to find out manually were the new paths to the save files and like data.

The new paths seem to be:

$HOME/.var/app/org.openmw.OpenMW/data/openmw/saves
(Save Files)

and

$HOME/.var/app/org.openmw.OpenMW/data/openmw/ (Screenshots)

Perhaps this should be added to the Wiki?
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

Hopefully the upgrade process will just be a simple `flatpak update org.openmw.OpenMW` (With --user added if running as a user-contained install)

But yeah, Flatpak stores all data in the .var/app/ folder for the application, so perhaps that would indeed be good to add to the wiki - and probably mention on a news post if we advertise the availability.
Veritate

Post by Veritate »

Updated my OpenMW flatpak to 0.43 some days ago - and it worked like a charm! Now that is what I wished for when I started this thread, so many thanks especially to you, Ace.

However, there are two glaring bugs now that I find quite perplexing:

1. There is always one entry highlighted by default in any menu. Be it the main menu, bartering menu, whatever. If I'm not completely mistaken, menu entries should be 'unfocussed' by default and only highlighted when the cursor hovers over them.

2. I infinitely get the message "… has been added to your journal" (I don't play the English version, so I have no idea what the exact wording is) whenever I click on a topic that triggers a journal entry upon first activation. In other words, every dialog option that notifies you of an updated journal will keep notifying you indefinitely. The journal, however, will not be updated again, so any entry will still only be there once, as is perfectly normal. The asiest way to reproduce this is to ask a guild master about the 'rules' of their faction, which normally triggers a journal entry upon first activation (but now the message keeps appearing).

I wonder whether these bugs are flatpak-specific? I haven't found them in OpenMW's bugtracker so far… But I would gladly add them to the list if anybody could confirm them.
thegriglat

Post by thegriglat »

Wow, super!
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

Veritate wrote: 03 Dec 2017, 11:32 1. There is always one entry highlighted by default in any menu. Be it the main menu, bartering menu, whatever. If I'm not completely mistaken, menu entries should be 'unfocussed' by default and only highlighted when the cursor hovers over them.
Not a bug, it's intentional. Highlighted button is the one under the focus of keyboard navigation.
Veritate

Post by Veritate »

Capostrophic wrote: 03 Dec 2017, 14:38
Veritate wrote: 03 Dec 2017, 11:32 1. There is always one entry highlighted by default in any menu. Be it the main menu, bartering menu, whatever. If I'm not completely mistaken, menu entries should be 'unfocussed' by default and only highlighted when the cursor hovers over them.
Not a bug, it's intentional. Highlighted button is the one under the focus of keyboard navigation.
Ah, thanks for clarifying. So this is not a bug. However, the other issue still holds true.