MCP-like menu

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: MCP-like menu

Post by psi29a »

Don't forget the distant land options... checking that on and allow modifying the view distance and number of cells to load. :)
Biboran

Post by Biboran »

This is totaly awesome! It be very great if you really implement this!
And with distand land option it be even more awesome! Thanx! :D
lysol

Post by lysol »

Looks great Thunderforge.
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

A GUI for this would be very nice for a large number of people and I think this would be the best implementation of it.
Thunderforge wrote: 29 Aug 2017, 03:43 One thing I was wondering: should we rename this section "Experimental"? That would make it clear that these are settings that are not fully supported or available in-game.
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding this thread, but I was under the impression that the "MCP-like" settings were just the settings.cfg settings. In which case the vast majority are fully supported, it's just they either weren't appropriate to be in-game or nobody has got around to adding them to in-game menus. If this is correct, then I would just state next to the settings themselves (e.g. distant land) that the particular setting is experimental. If you meant the GUI itself is experimental, then I suppose calling the section Experimental would be appropriate, but otherwise I'd keep it to the individual entries.
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

Ravenwing wrote: 29 Aug 2017, 18:02 Perhaps I'm misunderstanding this thread, but I was under the impression that the "MCP-like" settings were just the settings.cfg settings. In which case the vast majority are fully supported, it's just they either weren't appropriate to be in-game or nobody has got around to adding them to in-game menus. If this is correct, then I would just state next to the settings themselves (e.g. distant land) that the particular setting is experimental. If you meant the GUI itself is experimental, then I suppose calling the section Experimental would be appropriate, but otherwise I'd keep it to the individual entries.
You're right, distant land is experimental, but most of the other ones are not (rather, there just aren't in-game options due to the lack of localization). It would probably be better to keep the in-game options.

I've created feature request #4054 in the bug tracker to request this menu.
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

I figure the next step would be to determine what specifically would be in this menu. I'm guessing it would be stuff that isn't already accessible in the game (e.g. whether "Use Best Attack" is enabled) and would actually be useful from a gameplay setting. Looking at the Advanced Settings Configurations, here's what I've got:

Graphics - Cells
  • Distant terrain (checkbox, default "unchecked")
  • Exterior cell load distance (integer spinner, range 1-5, default 1)
  • Small feature culling pixel size(integer spinner, range 1-16, default 2)
  • Viewing distance (integer spinner, range 1-5, default 1). Note that this will do the math for the formula "(8192 * exterior cell load distance - 1024) * 0.93"
Also, it would be great if the app could give you a warning if exterior cell load distance is greater than the viewing distance, given that we've had several people complain that distant terrain isn't working, but really it's just behind the fog.

Settings - Game
  • Show owned (dropdown menu, [None, Tooltip only, Crosshair only, Tooltip and Crosshair], default "None")
  • Show projectile damage (checkbox, default "unchecked")
  • Show melee damage (checkbox, default "unchecked")
  • Show enchant chance (checkbox, default "unchecked")
  • Cannot loot during death animation (checkbox, default "checked")
  • Show effect duration (checkbox, default "unchecked")
  • Prevent merchant equipping (checkbox, default "unchecked")
  • Followers attack on sight (checkbox, default "unchecked")
Settings - General
  • Screenshot format (dropdown menu, [JPG, PNG, TGA], default "PNG")
Settings - Input
  • Grab cursor (checkbox, default "checked")
  • Toggle sneak (checkbox, default "unchecked")
  • Allow third person zoom (checkbox, default "unchecked")
Settings - Saves
  • Time played (checkbox, default "unchecked")
Are there any other major ones that ought to be included? Any on the list that aren't worth adding? Any that need to be recategorized?
kuyondo

Post by kuyondo »

Amazing idea, this is a must have for me.
Loriel

Post by Loriel »

This is also a potential solution to some of those difficult "Do we keep this bug/feature from vanilla, or fix it?" questions. Though unfortunately it bloats the code base a bit, as well as this menu, so where the answer is clear I think that single route should be taken.

A couple of examples:
  • I dislike the vanilla implementation of trading, where improving your trading skills reduces both your selling and buying prices. It would be nice to have the option for improved skills to increase your selling prices whilst reducing buying prices.
  • There's a bug in vanilla that transport costs exclude your first follower, and Open MW appears to replicate this. Personally I'd like to see it fixed, but giving the option to fix or keep it would be good too.
Loriel
Arakhor

Post by Arakhor »

A dialogue box to determine where your screenshots get saved to would be nice eventually as well.
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

Let's limit this discussion right now to optional fixes that are currently implemented in OpenMW via the Advanced Setting Configurations. If you have an idea for something that is not yet possible to change by modifying the config files, file a new bug report/feature request.