Multiple Sound Files per Sound Record

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Post Reply
Wolvman
Posts: 18
Joined: 30 Apr 2012, 15:57

Multiple Sound Files per Sound Record

Post by Wolvman » 31 Jul 2017, 02:12

Hey everyone!

I've been wanting to jump back into the MW modding scene and was wondering just how hard it would be for someone to tweak the current sound record system in OpenMW-CS to allow for multiple sound file assignments instead of only one per record. I imagined the tweak would also include a simple way of assigning a percentage to each sound file that designated how often it was to be played when the record was called upon. As in "Footstep Sound 1" has a 60% chance of playing, "Footstep Sound 2" has a 30% chance of playing, and "Footstep Sound 3" has a 10% chance of playing.

This would be immensely useful for mods that aim at making armor hits, footsteps, weapon swishes, etc. randomized and more varied without the need for scripts (which is something I'd love to work on for OpenMW).

And as much as I'd like to, I don't yet have the necessary time or mad programming skills to add this feature myself. So would this be more in the category of "Oh that's easy, this would only take like 2 seconds.", or would it be leaning more towards "Well that's something you'll just have to implement yourself someday when you finally level-up your willpower attribute enough to make it through those d*** C++ Youtube tutorials."?

User avatar
Thunderforge
Posts: 154
Joined: 06 Jun 2017, 05:57
Github profile: https://github.com/Thunderforge

Re: Multiple Sound Files per Sound Record

Post by Thunderforge » 31 Jul 2017, 03:47

Either way, it's probably something to go into the bug tracker as a feature request. That way it's at least on our radar.

Chris
Posts: 1277
Joined: 04 Sep 2011, 08:33

Re: Multiple Sound Files per Sound Record

Post by Chris » 31 Jul 2017, 04:38

It wouldn't be too hard as far as the engine is concerned. The bigger issue will be how to have the game data specify it. The Sound Generator record would need to be extended to allow specifying multiple Sound records with associated chance amounts, and currently we don't alter records from their vanilla format.

Wolvman
Posts: 18
Joined: 30 Apr 2012, 15:57

Re: Multiple Sound Files per Sound Record

Post by Wolvman » 01 Aug 2017, 19:58

Well that's good to hear. I just put this down on the bug tracker but I may have accidentally forgotten to categorize it as a feature request. :?

https://bugs.openmw.org/issues/3979

Hopefully we'll get to see this implemented some day. I know I'd personally find it more than a little useful for the mod ideas I've been coming up with lately. :D

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest