Journal

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
sirherrbatka

Journal

Post by sirherrbatka »

I guess that it's quite easy to explain how the mw journal works. It looks like there is a limit of lines per page and If adding another entry will break this limit new page is created. It's simple and straightforward, but since there is so many writings in the journal it does not work well.

I propose to:
a) add option to make the journal window bigger (to add more space)
b) maybe instead of showing whole entry just a header with "read more", blog style button
c) And after pressing read more option to add pictures (screenshots), maps and ofc player created notes.
e) And I miss the option to add own entry too.
f) bookmarks, where are the bookmarks?
g) why the game must be paused after opening the journal? I would love to read it while running (the same goes to books). Actually I have nothing against making it standard GUI window (besides that it will be hard to fit in, but it's the question about whole GUI thing since there is no any form of dock)
h) Player should be able to group things in journal (maybe with tags).

Journal sux badly. Actually it sux just as alchemy window but alchemy is not WIP and besides, most of the time journal is much more needed than alchemy so it's the journal that makes us scream "Help me! I'm in hell!", not alchemy window.
Zini

Re: Journal

Post by Zini »

a) IIRC the journal nearly covered the whole screen in MW. Wouldn't hurt to minimize the area between the journal window and the screen border though.

b-f, h) are clearly post 1.0 features. We can do small usability improvements now, but any new feature that requires substantial amount of work should be added later.

g) Well, that is just how MW works. You open the GUI (any GUI window), the game pauses. We may review this at some point, but then for everything (excluding the main menu). Also post 1.0.

Edit: btw. sorry that I always have to be such a spoilsport when it comes to these suggestions. But if we don't keep focused, we will never finish OpenMW 1.0.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Well, you are right about openmw 1.0 But I'm just wondering what about GUI in general. I like the morrowind concept of GUI and I would prefer to keep it, but if we want to add aditional windows it will get worse. :-/
Zini

Post by Zini »

We will look into that when we got 1.0 out of our way.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

That's our way I guess.