Spell Casting FPS hit with Distant Land

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
krunklenutz

Spell Casting FPS hit with Distant Land

Post by krunklenutz »

Hello Everyone!

I recently installed the new version and I noticed about a 20 FPS drop during spell-casting with distant land enabled (from 55 down to 35 on the Sadrith Mora docks) creating a large, momentary stutter after every spell cast. I did a few controls and I've excluded the number of pre-loaded cells and the small-object culling size as contributing factors. It seems like the magnitude of the FPS drop is only effected by having distant land enabled, making me think it might not be hardware limited.

The only mods I'm running are morrowind rebirth and fair magicka regeneration (with the script fix so that it works properly).

Let me know what you think or if anyone else has seen this happen. I've only tried this with Conjuration spells (bright sparkling effect during casting).

Thanks!
DecumusScotti

Re: Spell Casting FPS hit with Distant Land

Post by DecumusScotti »

I don't have the mods installed that you're talking about, but I can't reproduce what you describe. All spells, including conjuration, work fine without a FPS drop, and with distant land enabled (though only set to 20000).
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

This is a known issue that will be solved not so soon-ish (tm)

Basically, spellcasting uses a raytest that can (sometimes) lead to a new terrain view being loaded then un-loaded, probably the best way to fix it would be to just use the main camera's viewpoint to determine the terrain LOD for raytests but since I've coded the system so viewpoint-agnostic this isn't a straightforward fix.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

lysol

Post by lysol »

Nice work scrawl! :)