Make restocking vendor items stack like in vanilla MW

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
DecumusScotti

Make restocking vendor items stack like in vanilla MW

Post by DecumusScotti »

Hey there,

with a similar background to my other topic from today (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4336), I came across another difference between openMW and vanilla MW that affected my gameplay 'workflow' :D

In vanilla MW, some(?) items of some vendors would stack if you buy them, close the dialogue and then sell them back to the vendor. Let's say, a vendor sells 10 units of an item. You buy these 10 units, then reopen the buy/sell dialogue, which makes the item restock. Now you could sell your 10 units back to the vendor, making him/her have 20 units. So far, openMW and vanilla MW behave the same way. However, vanilla MW would from then on restock 20 units, while openMW only restocks the initial 10 units. By repeating this process in vanilla MW, the vendors stockpile would increase to 40 in the next step, then 80, and so on.
This way, you could easily increase the amount of a specific item a vendor sells. This is incredibly useful for example for improving your alchemy skill, as one usually has to create a huge amount of junk potions.
I used to increase a vendor's stockpile to, say, 500, for useful item combinations, which greatly reduces the amount of busywork one has to do to get the desired amount of items for skill improvements, as the item count then complies to a x*(2^n) function, with x being the initial amount and n being the amount of forth-and-back transactions.

Now, this exploit always felt like it was something in between a bug and a feature in vanilla MW, as this behaviour didn't apply to all vendors or all of their items. The current implementation in openMW appears clean and stable, which is certainly desirable.
However, as both systems are not even close to being realistic (immediate restock of any item in any quantity is always a convenience feature, not a realism feature), I would argue that it would make sense to reimplement this item stacking into openMW, albeit in a cleaner way than in vanilla MW.
For example, it could apply to all items that immediately restock.

Please let me know your thoughts on this.
Okulo

Re: Make restocking vendor items stack like in vanilla MW

Post by Okulo »

Funny you should start about this. Just today the relevant bug report was picked up. :)
DecumusScotti

Re: Make restocking vendor items stack like in vanilla MW

Post by DecumusScotti »

Oh yeah, that's neat! What a coincidence though (?)