Vanilla MW behavior f. closing inventory while dragging item

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
DecumusScotti

Vanilla MW behavior f. closing inventory while dragging item

Post by DecumusScotti »

Hey there,

I just tried out openMW for the first time yesterday, after observing the project for a long time already. And I'm very impressed and incredibly thankful for all the work that went into it!

However, one of the features of vanilla Morrowind that I used a lot, is missing: In vanilla MW, when you open a container and you click onto an item with the left mouse button, i.e. you start dragging it, you could immediately use right-click to close the inventory and container and you would transfer the dragged item from the container to your inventory.
This was by far the fastest way to get a single item or the last item of interest out of a container and into your inventory. Especially for taking the money from a container while leaving the rest untouched, this was a very useful feature in vanilla MW that significantly sped up the process. This is prevented in the current openMW, as you cannot close your inventory or a container while dragging an item.

From my understanding, this is a feature that should be included in openMW until v1.0, as it is available in vanilla MW.

I'm using v.0.41 on Win7x64, on an approx. 4 years old Dell Inspiron 15R (Radeon 7670M, Core [email protected], 8GB RAM.)

By using the search function, I didn't find this topic to be covered elsewhere yet, but please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Thanks again to the Devs for all your effort! <3
Capostrophic

Re: Vanilla MW behavior f. closing inventory while dragging

Post by Capostrophic »

Search the bug tracker instead of the subforum, please. Here is the relevant feature request.
DecumusScotti

Post by DecumusScotti »

I found that bug report in my preparation for the post, but it didn't really match what I experienced. This is possibly due to different openMW versions. With 0.41, it's impossible to close the inventory while dragging an item, so apparently somebody changed the behaviour already.
Also, my feature request is not about cancelling the drag, so that an item *remains* in its container/your inventory, but specifically about placing it into your inventory, no matter where it was before. That's how it is in vanilla MW, and I think it's an important distinction for implementation.
Chris

Post by Chris »

DecumusScotti wrote:With 0.41, it's impossible to close the inventory while dragging an item, so apparently somebody changed the behaviour already.
That's what the bug report says, you can't close the inventory UI while dragging. What that report says is that it's possible (via scripting) to disable the inventory window while dragging. This leaves you in the UI with just the character stats and map and no visible inventory window. And without an inventory window, there's no way to stop the drag without placing it in the world. This is the same behavior as vanilla since I've experienced the same bug there, and why it's listed as a feature request to fix it.
Also, my feature request is not about cancelling the drag, so that an item *remains* in its container/your inventory, but specifically about placing it into your inventory, no matter where it was before.
Once you start dragging an item, it's part of your inventory regardless of where it was originally. It adds to your encumbrance and doesn't count toward the other container's contents. "Dropping" it onto your inventory is just a fancy way to cancel the drag.
DecumusScotti

Post by DecumusScotti »

Ok, thanks for the explanation :) As the replies mentioned transforming yourself into a werewolf to replicate the bug, I sincerely thought that it's something else.