Distant Weather

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Flatlander

Distant Weather

Post by Flatlander »

Everyone loves distant terrain, myself included. I like the pic posted recently of the ghostfence from Aldruhn. Beautiful work. It is what everyone would have liked from the initial release of Morrowind back in the day. But there is that niggling issue in the background. The ghostfence and Red Mountain should really be a fuzzy shape from the Ash(?) storms until the main quest is complete. (It's always ashy in Red mountain.)

This raises the question of distant weather.

This might be extremely hard, but think about standing in Vivec and looking into the bitter coast and seeing the rain creating a haze. how about moving across the grazelands towards rain. The real bonus would be completing the main quest leaving the Red Mountain and looking back and seeing it finally be clear and seeing all the dwemer ruins scattered over the mountain.

It is a thought, and it might be much. All weather might be nice, but altering the Red mountain alone might be a nice touch.

Just throwing this out there.

Rick
Brahman05

Re: Distant Weather

Post by Brahman05 »

If that is at all possible, i have also thought that animating red mountain would also be awesome, imagine looking from vivec and seeing all the fir and brimstone spewing from the top, like an actual active volcano, maybe even seeing an ash storm spilling over the ghostfence towards ald' ruhn. Its anproject i would be willing to work on myself. I know low level coding, c and assembly type stuff, but coding is coding and even if it caused me gray hairs and a permanent headache from beating it against a brick wall, the ulcer would be worth it.
DecumusScotti

Post by DecumusScotti »

That's way over my head to help with, but I can definitely say that that would be an amazing feature!
magamo

Post by magamo »

One issue I can see with distant weather, as awesome a feature as that would be... Is that it might require a little bit of a rework of the weather system, to allow for a weather front to travel from region to region over time, instead of the very random way weather is handled now.
jirka642

Post by jirka642 »

I was thinking that having a very simple version of real weather simulation (like the one they show on TV) would be super cool. It also wouldn't need to be very precise, since it doesn't matter if the weather "predictions" are wrong. :)

But, the problem with that is, that the simulated weather would probably be different from what it should be in specific regions (rain, fog, snow, sandstorms, etc.) :( . Morowind weather feels just too diverse to be realistic for such a small island.