Please add Xbox GUI for controllers

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
BadWolf

Please add Xbox GUI for controllers

Post by BadWolf »

Navigating with the thumbstick in the menus is very clunky. The controller support when you move around is great, the only issue is there is no Xbox GUI.
SquireNed

Re: Please add Xbox GUI for controllers

Post by SquireNed »

I believe (and call me crazy here) that this has come up before as a point of discussion.

One of the issues seems to be that nobody really has familiarity with the Xbox GUI, so nobody can recreate it, and while we could ostensibly simply mish-mash a controller-friendly system into place there's no clear consensus on how.

I could see a list-based UI similar to Oblivion or Skyrim as a post 1.0 feature, but I'm not certain if we'll ever see a recreation of the Xbox GUI.
augustt

Post by augustt »

No idea if it could help but I own a copy of the Morrowind GotY for Xbox.

Anyway, I'd be excited for this possibility but I'm not expecting it to really be even a twinkle in anyone's eye until post-1.0.
BadWolf

Post by BadWolf »

SquireNed wrote:One of the issues seems to be that nobody really has familiarity with the Xbox GUI, so nobody can recreate it
There are countless videos on YouTube of gameplay of Morrowind on the Xbox. I would say I'm not opposed to the idea of a simplified version of the Xbox GUI for the meantime, but the Xbox version looks simplified already.

Maybe someone could make an option to control the cursor with the directional pad in a way that it jumps to the option of the direction of the button pushed. Maybe moving the thumbstick could be used for switching UI windows instead of clicking one direction multiple times just to get to the options of spells from inventory and from the vendor's inventory to yours. I imagine that piece of code could be useful later when developing the controller GUI.
Naugrim

Post by Naugrim »

BadWolf wrote: There are countless videos on YouTube of gameplay of Morrowind on the Xbox.
Still, that's not a description of how it works. And it would take a long time to get all the details from gameplays. However, if someone with an XBox version could create a document with a description, that would be a starting point for a possible implementation.
I tried googling to see if the xbox manual is available online, but only found the PC version, even in Bethesda site (http://manuals.bethsoft.com/), only the PC version appears. Does it even exists?

In the meantime I guess you can try this http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/42903/?, it's a JoyToKey mapping, so, provided you'r in Windows, it's a possible alternative.
sjek

Post by sjek »

augustt

Post by augustt »

Also, that mod doesn't seem to provide what we're looking for, which is console ui. OpenMW already has good button mappings, but without proper ui you are forced to use the analog stick to steer the mouse pointer around which is awkward and tiring during long play sessions. Finding out what the button mappings are and what the console ui looks like aren't the hard part, someone finding the time and energy to do the development work to make it happens is.
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

SquireNed wrote:I believe (and call me crazy here) that this has come up before as a point of discussion.
You're not crazy lol, this comes up probably once every two or three months. However, I haven't seen any of the devs give a reason for why it's not being worked on. Presumably, it's seen as a post-1.0 feature as a console UI was not part of the PC release. I know it was on scrawl's todo list, but now that he's taking it easier on the active development side, I doubt we'll see it any time soon. I've advocated for additional UI overhaul as well, but the fact remains that most people, including probably the devs, use a keyboard and mouse, so they don't have much of a drive to spend the time on that particular feature when there's so much else to do.
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

Ravenwing wrote:
SquireNed wrote:I believe (and call me crazy here) that this has come up before as a point of discussion.
You're not crazy lol, this comes up probably once every two or three months. However, I haven't seen any of the devs give a reason for why it's not being worked on. Presumably, it's seen as a post-1.0 feature as a console UI was not part of the PC release. I know it was on scrawl's todo list, but now that he's taking it easier on the active development side, I doubt we'll see it any time soon. I've advocated for additional UI overhaul as well, but the fact remains that most people, including probably the devs, use a keyboard and mouse, so they don't have much of a drive to spend the time on that particular feature when there's so much else to do.
Also, let's not forget the fact that Morrowind's base UI feels kind of dated; I'm not uber-surprised if part of the reason that we don't have controller-friendly GUI is because there is some discussion over whether or not to make it part of a new universal UI, though that's just speculation.
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

I would wholeheartedly support that, although I imagine many would miss the original.