Nvidia Ansel Alternative?

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
commodore256

Nvidia Ansel Alternative?

Post by commodore256 »

AnyOldName3

Re: Nvidia Ansel Alternative?

Post by AnyOldName3 »

If we've got the console commands which I think Skyrim has, this can be achieved with

Code: Select all

set timescale to 0
tfc
and then setting the rendering resolution and settings much higher. This is the gist of what Ansel does anyway, IIRC.
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

There was no free cam toggle in Morrowind and it's the same way in OpenMW.

Though I always subconsciously wanted it. Screenarchers of the world, unite!
Chris

Post by Chris »

Setting timescale to 0 also doesn't stop animations or AI, it just stops the time of day from progressing. Having in-depth screenshot controls similar to what's shown would be nice, since you could alter screenshot properties without affecting the actual game render.
Jyby

Post by Jyby »

It would also be neat if you could tell the engine what phase a characters animation was in.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Just some noob questions.
Chris wrote:Setting timescale to 0 also doesn't stop animations or AI, it just stops the time of day from progressing. Having in-depth screenshot controls similar to what's shown would be nice, since you could alter screenshot properties without affecting the actual game render.
But the renderer would still be updating the screen because we can move our image around a bit? (I'm thinking of hidden objects or water reflections here.)

Wouldn't stopping actor movement also create issues with collision detection / physics? I mean, if there is an NPC walking into a wall in the very moment you decide to take a screenshot, the engine will continue to perform distance checks which would cause the physics system to overheat. Or am I missing something?
Chris

Post by Chris »

Atahualpa wrote:Wouldn't stopping actor movement also create issues with collision detection / physics? I mean, if there is an NPC walking into a wall in the very moment you decide to take a screenshot, the engine will continue to perform distance checks which would cause the physics system to overheat. Or am I missing something?
For something like this, AI and physics would stop too. The renderer would continue to run, but the game state wouldn't change except for the location of the camera viewport (which would reset back to normal when gameplay is resumed). It would be the same as bringing up the main menu, except instead of going to a mouse-driven UI overlay, you can move the camera around the available play space.