Don’t let AutoEquip render NPCs naked when they have armors

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Amenophis

Don’t let AutoEquip render NPCs naked when they have armors

Post by Amenophis »

After the AutoEquip Fix (2016-10-16) OpenMW works identical to Morrowind. What implies the same odd results when running some mods that alter race skills and traits. In this example the plugin “BTB – Character”, after starting a new game, make the orcs in front of the “Tel Aruhn, Underground” (15, 5) naked.

This Feature Request is about making the NPCS use their armor (boots, cuirasses, shilds) even when their skills aren’t high enough, IF the rendered character ends naked in the world.

http://btb2.free.fr/morrowind.html (look for BTB's Game Improvements)

http://bugs.openmw.org/issues/3599
ezze

Re: Don’t let AutoEquip render NPCs naked when they have arm

Post by ezze »

I am fairly sure this is the vanilla behavior too, so post-1 or mods I guess?
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

ezze wrote:I am fairly sure this is the vanilla behavior too, so post-1 or mods I guess?
yeah, it is. the NPC will equip items that sync w/ highest score (weapons and armor, so they will choose a weak dagger over a longsword with more power -- if shortblade is levelled up more. Likewise with armors). I know that there were triggers for conversation based upon player price of clothing/armor, but unsure how NPC clothing works, though -- I *thought* that the NPC would wear the most expensive items if more than one available.

But, this most likely will be addressed in mods/post 1.0. Not sure if you can "force equip" equipment though. There may need to be some kind of extension to scripts to accomplish this (again, not sure)

ST
edited for clarity
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

Well, someone could change the AI in order to improve the choice of equipment. The behaviour could be controlled via a game setting (0 == vanilla behaviour; 1 == improved behaviour). In my opinion this is similar to the recent melee vs. ranged weapon discussion, and could be addressed in the source code. However, a script would solve the problem as well but with a greater impact on performance.