Dialogue between 2 or more characters

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Envy123

Dialogue between 2 or more characters

Post by Envy123 »

Currently, I'm doing this for a mod of mine:

Code: Select all

Speaker A: foo
Speaker B: bar
Speaker A: hello 
However, it does look a bit clumsy and Talky Morrowind outputs the entire conversation as the original speaker only.

Would it be possible for OpenMW to allow unvoiced conversations between 2 characters as well as the player in the current dialogue interface? This would definitely help as a quest modder. :)
Jyby

Re: Dialogue between 2 or more characters

Post by Jyby »

It would be possible post 1.0. But couldn't you have one NPC speak its mind and then refuse to talk, hinting to the player to talk to someone else? Then they you could imagine dialogue back and forth. The dialogue interface isn't really built for your use case.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

You could always freeze the player via script, make the NPCs walk in front of you, and use message boxes for the NPCs' dialogue and your dialogue choices. Not very elegant but at least it should work.
Jyby

Post by Jyby »

Oh right that is a sound way to do it. Think how the guards approach you and dialogue.. Then when the player finishes reading they can close the menu. Perhaps then add a time delay before the next NPC talks so it doesn't confuse the player.

I wonder if we can force dialogues with NPCs at a distance, I'm thinking of a show trial mod...
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

According to UESP, this should be possible by using the GetDistance function:
UESP wrote:The forcegreeting function will initiate dialogue regardless of the where the NPC is. The NPC does not even need to be in the same cell as the player. Best to use with a GetPCCell or GetDistance function.