Open GL ES Support

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Mew

Open GL ES Support

Post by Mew »

I saw that Open Morrowind was able to run on the Raspberry Pi and was wondering if anyone had gotten it compiled with Open GL ES as I have an Odroid XU4 and it's Mali GPU does not support Open GL. The XU4 is significantly more powerful than the PI and I believe it may be able to offer a decent playable experience if Open Morrowind can run on it.

Thanks
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: Open GL ES Support

Post by psi29a »

At this moment, OpenMW makes use of standard OpenGL. You might be able to get away with OpenGL-ES (v1) if your stack is compiled for it: OSG and OpenMW. We're still having issues with GLESv1 on RPi2/Android/armhf

OpenGL-ESv2 on the other hand is not supported.

To quote scrawl in PM with me:
OpenMW currently uses fixed-pipeline features that are not available in GL3 and GLES2. This is not a matter of a simple compilation fix, the whole pipeline is affected, you'll need to come up with a well designed rendering architecture, matching shaders, etc. You'll also need to make sure that all the new code is *optional* so as to not affect the existing GL2 path. This is a very complex task that you'll need a good understanding of OpenGL and OpenMW for.
sandstranger

Post by sandstranger »

d
Last edited by sandstranger on 18 Jan 2018, 16:30, edited 1 time in total.
Mew

Post by Mew »

@sandstranger Is this how you compile your Android builds as Open GL ES?
Mew

Post by Mew »

Okay, so far it has been going well except when I go to build OpenMW I get the error that my LibBullet is outdated. It is version 2.80 and it needs 2.83. I tried building and installing 2.83 with CMake, but it doesn't appear to be replacing the old version. Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Be sure to set the the correct prefix, by default it goes to /usr/local instead of to /usr. If you don't wish to replace, you can manually set OpenMW's cmake to look for libbullet2.83(or whatever) to look in /usr/local/lib/ and /usr/local/include