Swift Cast

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Orven

Swift Cast

Post by Orven »

Hello there!

I'm new here, so firt of all, hello! :) My name is Michal in RL, and afrer retrying many times Skyrim with different mods I've finally got back to Morrowind - while it has some drawbacks, it is still the best of the series for me. :)
Trying to reduce some of those drawbacks mentioned, I started to search for fixes and mods and I've found out two things - There is Open Morrowind, and there is Vanilla game patched by CodePatch and some other fixing mods. And here I'm. ;)

Now... While for fixes I suppose I don't need those mods playing Open Morrowind, but I still miss some additional features of CodePatch - You have already implemented such optional feauture like togglable sneak. I find personally Swift Cast also to be very useful in my gameplay.

It would be nice to have this option aviable. :)

Best wishes!
Amenophis

Re: Swift Cast

Post by Amenophis »

Already requested. Great feature, by the way.
http://bugs.openmw.org/issues/2110
Orven

Post by Orven »

Ok, thanks. :)
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

I managed to get a working prototype of this feature: https://github.com/akortunov/openmw/tree/swiftcasting
This feature is togglable and disabled by default:

Code: Select all

[Game]
swift casting = true
JDGBOLT

Post by JDGBOLT »

akortunov wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 17:33 I managed to get a working prototype of this feature: https://github.com/akortunov/openmw/tree/swiftcasting
This feature is togglable and disabled by default:

Code: Select all

[Game]
swift casting = true
Very nice implementation, pretty ingenious just replacing the ready magic key to just cast a spell, regardless of state. Only thing I have noticed is that it caused a crash in my game emanating from CharacterController::updateCarriedLeftVisible within apps/openmw/mwmechanics/character.cpp from the line you changed. I think what was happening was a recursive loop, with mWeaponType equaling weaptype, so it just keep calling that function over and over until it crashed. Could be wrong though, but I think that is what caused it, as gdb was showing there was lots of calls to that function. Just thought I would let you know.
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

JDGBOLT wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 20:36 Only thing I have noticed is that it caused a crash in my game emanating from CharacterController::updateCarriedLeftVisible within apps/openmw/mwmechanics/character.cpp from the line you changed.
Should be fixed now.
And I suppose this feature needs some refactoring anyway.
JDGBOLT

Post by JDGBOLT »

I think that does work, at least I didn't notice any crashing in a minute or two of testing, though one thing that I do notice is that if say you are unarmed and you cast a bound weapon, you will pull an invisible weapon, if you sheath and pull out again it works, but just thought I would let you know.
Rovlad

Post by Rovlad »

Is there any way to test this without compiling OMW on your own? :oops:
lysol

Post by lysol »

Rovlad wrote: 13 Apr 2018, 23:55 Is there any way to test this without compiling OMW on your own? :oops:
Nope.
qiemem

Post by qiemem »

This looks amazing. Are you planning on opening a PR?