Item Info Box

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Ragox

Item Info Box

Post by Ragox »

I'm requesting the feature of an info box that would fade in to the right of an item after you keep hovering over it with your mouse for 3 seconds (if it were to appear instantly that would make navigation more difficult). It should basically look like in the concept that you can see above.

This would be perfect to add some flavor to the items and have additional bits of lore in the game. Especially for us at Tamriel Rebuild and Project Tamriel this would also be very helpful to introduce new items much better for the players.

I hope this shouldn't be too difficult to add? :)
K0kt409P

Re: Item Info Box

Post by K0kt409P »

That would have to be done by a mod rather than the engine. Artifact lore is not associated with the item itself in the game data, so using vanilla assets there would be nothing for the engine to display.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Such a mod is currently impossible in OpenMW, therefore you need engine side implementation to allow better modding.

http://i.imgur.com/bQvvK9l.png

No way to add flavor text. This sounds like a pretty good feature to have for modders in the future.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

This sounds really cool. You could make the additional box(es) more flexible (position, size, adaptivity, ...) and let the modders decide how they shall look like and what they shall contain (basically any info about the object, e.g., range, owner status, or even the model or texture used). -- Well, maybe that's to ambitious; the basic functionality could be similar to your request, Ragox.

Now we only need someone to implement this. :roll:
jirka642

Post by jirka642 »

This looks fun. I might try to do basic text version, but don't take my word for it, since I could get stuck somewhere in openmw-cs stuff...
Ragox

Post by Ragox »

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm really happy to see that the idea is so well received.
jirka642 wrote:This looks fun. I might try to do basic text version, but don't take my word for it, since I could get stuck somewhere in openmw-cs stuff...
Sounds awesome! Hope you find time for it.
I'll up the ante by personally awarding € 100.00 to whoever gets this done in a satisfying fashion (that means done according to the description above, with no missing features). ;)
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Ragox wrote:I'll up the ante by personally awarding € 100.00 to whoever gets this done in a satisfying fashion (that means done according to the description above, with no missing features). ;)
If you have that much to 'spend', why on this issue and not say on dynamic shadows and other graphical improvements? (Just curious to your motivation.)
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

psi29a wrote:
Ragox wrote:I'll up the ante by personally awarding € 100.00 to whoever gets this done in a satisfying fashion (that means done according to the description above, with no missing features). ;)
If you have that much to 'spend', why on this issue and not say on dynamic shadows and other graphical improvements? (Just curious to your motivation.)
This sort of semi-narrative storytelling is quite valuable for the modern game creator. In addition to allowing a good deal of context to be brought into Morrowind via mods (explaining artifacts and giving notes to the players about what they're supposed to be doing e.g. "This note ought to be taken to Caius in Balmora"), it also serves as a way to give an element of lore integration into the inventory system.

Think of Dark Souls, which generally was well-praised for its story, but actually said relatively little through in-game dialogue. The little snippets of item-based information carried a lot of worldbuilding across to the player. Dialogue is expensive and difficult, characters (even in Morrowind) typically have some voice acting, and using items to carry some of the responsibility for telling the player about the world is a good idea.
jirka642

Post by jirka642 »

Slowly working on it: http://imgur.com/a/TUXDA (static text test)
Still needs some fixes for when the tooltip is near the edges of OpenMW window, and then I can go work on saving/loading and openmw-cs stuff.
Its also possible to use #{tag} in text to retrieve some variables (gmst, settings, ...). Not sure if that would be useful for modding...
Berandas

Post by Berandas »

Pěkná práce, jen tak dál. ;)