Extensible Hotkey Framework

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
DecumusScotti

Extensible Hotkey Framework

Post by DecumusScotti »

Hey there,

I've been following openMW for a while now and I'm very happy that all of you put so much time and effort in this wonderful project.

I'm no expert in coding, but I I'm no absolute newbie either and I'd like to have a specific element included in openMW, which is a higher amount of configurable hotkeys - preferably an extensible amount (e.g. an "add hotkey"-button in the menu).

I have used the search function as to whether something like this is already being worked on or included, but didn't find anything, so my question is: Does anyone of you know about a feature like this being worked on or included? And if not, is someone else interested in it?
The second question doesn't matter that much, because I'd even do it for just myself, because it's something I absolutely need.

I'd be happy to hear from you,
DS
Zini

Re: Extensible Hotkey Framework

Post by Zini »

Its on my todo list for post 1.0 development. It will have to wait until then because we do not have the framework yet to integrate this feature into the engine; at least not cleanly and I would prefer to avoid a stopgrap solution.
DecumusScotti

Post by DecumusScotti »

So... It wouldn't even make sense for me to have a look at it yet? I'd be very willing to devote some time to that feature. Just don't know whether I have the skills to implement it from scratch.
Zini

Post by Zini »

We would need to extend the scripting language first to properly support the feature. That is an absolute no go at this point. We don't have the framework for it. And we probably need to do something about the user settings too because these keys need to be configurable by the player. Sorry. Of course you are free to look at the code anyway, but I am not sure how useful that would be. It will be a while before we can get to the feature and I suspect the related parts of the code base will look quite different then.
If you think you may have the skills to contribute, there is still plenty of work on the way to 1.0. We can always use some additional help.
Tels

Post by Tels »

Zini wrote:We would need to extend the scripting language first to properly support the feature. That is an absolute no go at this point. We don't have the framework for it. And we probably need to do something about the user settings too because these keys need to be configurable by the player. Sorry. Of course you are free to look at the code anyway, but I am not sure how useful that would be. It will be a while before we can get to the feature and I suspect the related parts of the code base will look quite different then.
If you think you may have the skills to contribute, there is still plenty of work on the way to 1.0. We can always use some additional help.
Where would be the areas help would be most wanted right now?
Zini

Post by Zini »

Sorry for the late reply (I feel like I have to apologise in every post now for late answers; damn you RL). Have a look at the bug tracker. If you are okay with working on the editor and don't mind using Qt, there are still plenty of tasks.