auto attack toggle

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Cramal

Re: auto attack toggle

Post by Cramal »

Actually "click click click." deplete your fatigue in a hope of low damage hits.

If you're carrying anything else than a dagger, this may be one of the poorest fighting strategy.
BlueFootedBooby

Post by BlueFootedBooby »

ezze wrote:On the other hand, unless the fight system in Morrowind is worked on and changed fighting is kinda "click click click."
I feel like, weak as the Morrowind combat is, automating away the primary action of combat is not going to be an improvement. The player would have even less to actually do, but would still have to pay attention so they can turn, move, etc.
Nivim

Post by Nivim »

A small detail that could improve Morrowind combat a lot is making it possible to tell the difference between when a combatant misses because of rolls and when it misses because of distance, because then you could actually get player-dodging instead of just character-dodging. Although, considering that in OpenMW an Ancestral ghost sometimes seems to have a greater reach than spears, some reach rebalancing might be necessary.

Also, I would definitely use a mod/git-branch that created some sort of 'scanning' spell effect that let you see the magical statuses of NPCs.

It would also be neat if the weapon damage system was reworked a bit so that 'Always Use Best Attack' did not have any reason to exist. (Like making it so that free space was needed for some attacks? Or maybe so that different attacks also have different miss chances? Not great ideas, but this needs more ideas.)
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

I´ve used a lot of the weapons vastly. The only one with strategical dodge viability is spear, because you can attack and run away at the same moment. The animations in Morrowind are generally a bit fast for dodging. Compare it with Dark Souls, a game that uses dodge as one of the main mechanics. Creatures actually choreograph their movement, while NPCs and creatures in Morrowind always make quick 1 click attacks (as opposed to the player, who can hold the mouse down to charge their strike).
Pop000100

Post by Pop000100 »

Nivim wrote: It would also be neat if the weapon damage system was reworked a bit so that 'Always Use Best Attack' did not have any reason to exist. (Like making it so that free space was needed for some attacks? Or maybe so that different attacks also have different miss chances? Not great ideas, but this needs more ideas.)
Daggerfall the attacks meant something, from UESP the chart is at the top.
Nivim

Post by Nivim »

Pop000100 wrote:Daggerfall the attacks meant something, from UESP the chart is at the top.
Yes, this looks a lot like that last thing I was thinking of, except there would be different ranges for different weapons. Spear in particular could be interesting; thrusting is the only thing that does serious damage, but swinging increases accuracy to almost 'always hit'. So a fast character would want to swing the spear once to get a flinch, then go to stabbing.
ezze

Post by ezze »

Perhaps we should start a topic to brainstorm ideas to improve the fighting system. I always found a bit annoying that alchemy and magic allow so much customization and fighting is just "click click click."

Slightly related, I wonder how difficult would be to include a system like Ghoul (from Soldier of Fortune [2000]) in Morrowind...
PrimordialBronze

Post by PrimordialBronze »

ezze wrote:Slightly related, I wonder how difficult would be to include a system like Ghoul (from Soldier of Fortune [2000]) in Morrowind...
Unfamiliar with "ghoul" will you explicate plz?
MetaCthulhu

Post by MetaCthulhu »

From the Wikipedia page "GHOUL...introduced the ability to dismember enemies in combat, adding to the realism of the game"
Amenophis

Post by Amenophis »