Adding an option to change the refresh rate

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
piotrekdg

Adding an option to change the refresh rate

Post by piotrekdg »

Heya,

I've been following the OpenMW development for a longer while now and I think I've finally found a way to contribute to the project.

I'd like to add refresh rates to the resolution list in OpenMW launcher and maybe in-game. The way OpenMW seems to work right now is to default to 60 Hz no matter what the resolution is. In case of my overclocked monitor, there's no way to enable the overclock other than windowed mode. Some games, even though they don't allow to choose it, pick up the refresh rate from the mode the OS works in if the in-game resolution was the same as the OS's.

Now, the way I'd like OpenMW to work is to be able to either choose from list of modes with resolution and refresh rate combined like this or as a separate list that needs to be updated each time a new resolution is picked up like this.

This way anyone can configure whatever the refresh rate they want in-game, independently from the mode OS is in, no matter if they have an overclocked monitor, 120Hz, 144Hz, or anything else. I've looked at the code where the resolution list is created and I confirmed that SDL has the proper value needed, though I don't know where the code for passing video mode actually is.

Comments, questions, concerns?
Last edited by piotrekdg on 29 Apr 2016, 13:43, edited 1 time in total.
scrawl

Re: Adding an option to change the refresh rate

Post by scrawl »

I'd like to add refresh rates to the resolution list in OpenMW launcher and maybe in-game. The way OpenMW seems to work right now is to default to 60 Hz no matter what the resolution is. In case of my overclocked monitor, there's no way to enable the overclock other than windowed mode. Some games, even though they don't allow to choose it, pick up the refresh rate from the mode the OS works in if the in-game resolution was the same as the OS's.

Now, the way I'd like OpenMW to work is to be able to either choose from list of modes with resolution and refresh rate combined like this or as a separate list that needs to be updated each time a new resolution is picked up like this.
Makes sense. I would prefer a separate list personally. Most people would probably not bother anyway (i.e. use the default, 0 = unspecified refresh rate)
I've looked at the code where the resolution list is created and I confirmed that SDL has the proper value needed, though I don't know where the code for passing video mode actually is.
Code