Mod Manager?

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
jmelesky

Re: Mod Manager?

Post by jmelesky »

Has there been any progress on this?
Not directly, but there does exist something that meets this particular requirement:
What I mean by that is that the manager will be able to locate and understand openmw.cfg and find the data entries.
The OpenMW Linked List Fixer reads your existing openmw.cfg and parses out the mods from the data entries in order to produce a merged-linked-list mod.

It's still very far from what you want, though -- there's no gui interface to the file, let alone a way to automatically download from nexus or modhistory or whatnot. But the code to work with the conf file is very straightforward, so it can serve as a proof-of-concept if nothing else.
jayhova4x4

Post by jayhova4x4 »

It seems as though if you want to sell the idea of OpenMW as a Vanilla replacement to the public at large, you will need to give people a compelling reason to switch from Vanilla to OpenMW. You really need to provide users a feature or set of features they don't get with Vanilla. For me, as a user, I am not as interested in the technical achievements of OpenMW as I am in game improvements for me as a player.

For me, the selling point was distant terrain. The idea that I could view halfway across the island was a compelling reason to install OpenMW. Right now I am struggling with installing Tamriel Rebuilt. If it were easier to install TR with OMW that too would make a compelling reason to switch. If the team's goal is to make OMW the de facto choice when someone wants to play Morrowind, then it should also be the goal to make user created add-ons for the game as easy to install as Tribunal and Bloodmoon were.
raevol

Post by raevol »

For all of us running Linux, especially those of us who don't use many mods, OpenMW is and has been the only answer for years.
SmartGuar

Post by SmartGuar »

jayhova4x4 wrote: 03 Aug 2017, 15:39 For me, the selling point was distant terrain. The idea that I could view halfway across the island was a compelling reason to install OpenMW. Right now I am struggling with installing Tamriel Rebuilt. If it were easier to install TR with OMW that too would make a compelling reason to switch.
Sorry to hear that. I also think that the mod installation should be made a little bit easier before version 1.0. In my opinion, you should be able to manage data files directories and bsa archives in the OpenMW launcher.

However, your problem is easily solved. You just have to done it once to understand it. :)
Download Tamriel_Data (you only need 1 version)
Download Tamriel Rebuilt
Now, extract these files with 7-zip or whatever works for you.

You could just put the contained files into your Morrowind\data files directory, but a way that is more practical in the long run is adding seperate data files directories.
Just move the extracted files to any folder where you'd like them to stay.

Then open your config file

Linux: $HOME/.config/openmw/openmw.cfg
Windows: C:\Users\Username\Documents\my games\openmw\openmw.cfg (username will vary, as may drive and language)
Mac: /Users/Username/Library/Preferences/openmw/openmw.cfg (username will vary, as may language)

where you can search for the key word "data=" and add your own two lines of: data="path\to\your\new\directories"

Finally, you should search for the key word "bsa" and add the names PT_Data.bsa and TR_Data.bsa in the same fashion as the vanilla bsa files that are probably already registered.
fallback-archive=PT_Data.bsa
fallback-archive=TR_Data.bsa

Now you can just activate the mod like any other Bethesda plug-in.
Frik

Post by Frik »

raevol wrote: 03 Aug 2017, 21:33 For all of us running Linux, ... OpenMW is and has been the only answer for years.
+1
jayhova4x4

Post by jayhova4x4 »

SmartGuar wrote: 04 Aug 2017, 21:20
Then open your config file

Linux: $HOME/.config/openmw/openmw.cfg
Windows: C:\Users\Username\Documents\my games\openmw\openmw.cfg (username will vary, as may drive and language)
Mac: /Users/Username/Library/Preferences/openmw/openmw.cfg (username will vary, as may language)

where you can search for the key word "data=" and add your own two lines of: data="path\to\your\new\directories"

Finally, you should search for the key word "bsa" and add the names PT_Data.bsa and TR_Data.bsa in the same fashion as the vanilla bsa files that are probably already registered.
fallback-archive=PT_Data.bsa
fallback-archive=TR_Data.bsa

Now you can just activate the mod like any other Bethesda plug-in.
for some reason, I have been unable to make all the yellow exclamation marks go away. most of them did but it seems like all the new characters are still balls of yellow triangles.
SmartGuar

Post by SmartGuar »

jayhova4x4 wrote: 05 Aug 2017, 09:02 for some reason, I have been unable to make all the yellow exclamation marks go away. most of them did but it seems like all the new characters are still balls of yellow triangles.
Please post your openmw.cfg file and a location where you see yellow exclamation marks (for example Necrom).
Alyndiar

Post by Alyndiar »

jayhova4x4 wrote: 01 Aug 2017, 23:49 Has there been any progress on this? As people such as myself come on board because the openMW engine works just as well as the vanilla without the bugs, they will tend to be less amped to use a product that must be installed by hand. Couldn't this be built into the launcher?
Can I concur with this? It is not so bad if you have only a few mods, but if you want to build a clean OpenMW installation with lots of mods, manual management of mods is going to get bothersome fast...
Loriel

Post by Loriel »

Frik wrote: 04 Aug 2017, 22:29
raevol wrote: 03 Aug 2017, 21:33 For all of us running Linux, ... OpenMW is and has been the only answer for years.
+1
Not entirely true, I think - Morrowind has run fairly well on Wine for many years. But in recent years OpenMW has been a far superior solution.

Loriel
Loriel

Post by Loriel »

Alyndiar wrote: 02 Sep 2017, 07:06
jayhova4x4 wrote: 01 Aug 2017, 23:49 Has there been any progress on this? As people such as myself come on board because the openMW engine works just as well as the vanilla without the bugs, they will tend to be less amped to use a product that must be installed by hand. Couldn't this be built into the launcher?
Can I concur with this? It is not so bad if you have only a few mods, but if you want to build a clean OpenMW installation with lots of mods, manual management of mods is going to get bothersome fast...
Whilst I agree that it would be a welcome improvement, it's not a high priority for me - there's lots of bugs I would like to see squashed first, and then the post 1.0 features to add.
Many of the developers are Linux users, to whom editing text files for configuration is normal procedure - so they probably won't see this as high priority either.

Loriel