OpenMW support for other games: Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout and more

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Davefilms

OpenMW support for other games: Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout and more

Post by Davefilms »

Could-ES IV be ported to OpenMW as a template?

Edited: topic title changed
kingtiger01

Re: Elder-scrolls IV Oblivion

Post by kingtiger01 »

you have double posts, (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3016)...

But, ive seen this discussed quite a few times. while possible, its not feasible without alot of work to the current implementation of the engine.

While it would be nice, IMO, it wouldnt even be on the table till post 1.0-release. The engine isnt even complete for handling morrowind content.

------

IMHO, i think openmw's final goal should be to support all of bethesda's games sharing this format and storage technique.
EmperorArthur

Post by EmperorArthur »

Scrawl and Zini have both said NO!!! to this multiple times.

I've looked at the feasibility of expanding our NIF importer to use later versions of texture files, so moders would have more readily available content, but was shot down immediately.
lysol

Post by lysol »

The typical answer to this question has usually been something like "sure, tell us when you've got a working build ready!"

Anything is possible theoretically. It's only a matter of time. And in this case - a lot of time. This is kinda like asking someone who is building a skateboard ramp on his free time for public use to build a whole skatepark "since you're here with all your tools now anyway. Shouldn't be so hard right?". If you get the point. :)
Davefilms

Post by Davefilms »

EmperorArthur wrote:Scrawl and Zini have both said NO!!! to this multiple times.

I've looked at the feasibility of expanding our NIF importer to use later versions of texture files, so moders would have more readily available content, but was shot down immediately.
Thanks for the reply. I see. I am glad for the OpenMW btw.
Digmaster

Post by Digmaster »

Someone can always fork the morrowind project and change it to accept oblivion stuff. It would be a ton of work, but I'm sure there'll be enough interest that someone will make it. Would take a lot of time.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Digmaster wrote: but I'm sure there'll be enough interest that someone will make it.
Always thought Oblivion was the weakest of the bunch, leading to less interest in general.

What would be really interesting is Fallout 3 running on OpenMW engine.
jirka642

Post by jirka642 »

If I am not mistaken, Fallout 3 is using very similar engine to Oblivion, so it might be very easy to modify potential Fallout 3 version of OpenMW to support Oblivion.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Already discussed elsewhere in the forum... ;) OpenFallout
anahuj

Post by anahuj »

EmperorArthur wrote:Scrawl and Zini have both said NO!!! to this multiple times.

I don't know reason for "no" but use of later versions of texture files has been forbidden by Bethesda: Oblivion textures/models cannot be used in a Morrowind mod.

Maybe better to document OpenMW and Morrowind functionality. Then document Oblivion functionality as starting point to OpenOblivion. I have decoded Oblivion and Fallout 3 ESM/ESP file formats extensively but I don't know how the data is used in the engine.