OpenMW support for other games: Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout and more

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: Elder-scrolls IV Oblivion

Post by psi29a »

Fantastic! Three cheers for cc9cii! :D
cc9cii

Post by cc9cii »

Pushed TES4 ESM reader code. Also pushed the bridging code to partially integrate into OpenMW/OpenCS. By partial I mean that the records are thrown away after reading, rather than saving them into data structures for further use. That part of the code needs some more thinking before making them public.
terabyte25

Post by terabyte25 »

cc9cii wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 00:04 Pushed TES4 ESM reader code. Also pushed the bridging code to partially integrate into OpenMW/OpenCS. By partial I mean that the records are thrown away after reading, rather than saving them into data structures for further use. That part of the code needs some more thinking before making them public.
Godspeed! :lol:
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Sweet! Glad to hear!

Would you say that this something that can be main-lined after review? From what I see, the branch is still based on the 0.36 release (OGRE), and as such, has a lot of merge conflicts with current master. Is it the plan to eventually rebase/merge? Re-write the work for use in master? Or just have it posted so others are inspired to get it main-lined? Just want to know what the future here is. :D

Example:
https://github.com/OpenMW/openmw/pull/1955
cc9cii

Post by cc9cii »

The best way would be to cherry-pick some of the commits for review/merge, since many of the changes (especially earlier ones) were already reviewed and not accepted for one reason or another. It's probably best viewed as working examples (or libraries) rather than a pull-request.
terabyte25

Post by terabyte25 »

@cc9cii Do you mind if I could gift you FO4 on Steam? Thanks in advance.
cc9cii

Post by cc9cii »

Thanks for the offer, much appreciated. However I would feel better if you donated to a charity of your choice instead - maybe one that supports mental health issues if I may suggest?

The wait for a sale is more to with the thrill of getting a bargain than anything else. Fortunately my days as a poor uni student is long gone.
TheMan

Post by TheMan »

Just bumping this thread to ask if there has been any progress, Thanks :D
cc9cii

Post by cc9cii »

Currently re-writing the NIF code - up to now various bits were hacked/grafted into existing code and that really can't be maintained in the longer term. But I've decided to leave existing code for TES3 alone for now.

Progress is slow. On top of that someone will have to port all the Ogre code into OSG so that will take some time as well. Given that nobody seems to have converted the BSA and ESM/ESP code over yet, even with only trivial amount of Ogre use in them, you might have to wait a long time for the NIF code to be ported across.
Azdul

Post by Azdul »

cc9cii wrote: 14 Dec 2018, 07:55 On top of that someone will have to port all the Ogre code into OSG so that will take some time as well. Given that nobody seems to have converted the BSA and ESM/ESP code over yet, even with only trivial amount of Ogre use in them, you might have to wait a long time for the NIF code to be ported across.
Please let me know if I understand correctly - someone (e.g. me) would have to cherry-pick BSA, ESM/ESP changes from https://github.com/OpenMW/openmw/pull/1955 , convert them from Ogre to OSG, and prepare separate, smaller pull-requests to be merged into main OpenMW master branch ?

And such FO3 / Oblivion specific changes would have a chance to be merged into main OpenMW branch, assuming of course that reviewers will find that the code is of sufficient quality ?

I'd like to help with anything that brings us closer to Open Oblivion :D