OpenMW support for other games: Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout and more

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
commodore256

Re: Elder-scrolls IV Oblivion

Post by commodore256 »

raevol wrote:Don't forget Radiant AI.
The Radiant AI was a joke. Out of all of the things mentioned, that sounds like the least difficult thing to implement. It's mostly NPC schedule.
Chris

Post by Chris »

commodore256 wrote:
raevol wrote:Don't forget Radiant AI.
The Radiant AI was a joke. Out of all of the things mentioned, that sounds like the least difficult thing to implement. It's mostly NPC schedule.
Radiant AI was more than just schedules. It was continuous AI for all actors in the world, letting them think and move even when you're not there to watch them. It was a way for NPCs to be aware of things in the environment and dynamically determine what they wanted. It was behavior based on inter-NPC reputation.

Radiant AI was hardly a joke. It may have been downgraded from the original hype for it, but it was still an impressive piece of technology (and in some ways still is).
Pherim

Post by Pherim »

commodore256 wrote:[
Didn't Morrowind have multiple Worldspaces? Like every interior was a new Worldspace and there was Mournhold or are you referring to looking outside the city in oblivion, it doesn't look like another Worldspace until you TCL out of there?
Morrowind only has one exterior worldspace, and with tribunal it was possible to make interior cells behave like exteriors (with sky and weather), but they didn't have landscape.
It sounds like in order for OpenOB to work, there needs to be an open source "SwiftTree", "FaceForge" and some sort of Havok to bullet compatibility modification. You need all of the links in the chain I suppose.
Yes, these components are probably the most problematic when it comes to an OpenOblivion Engine of some sorts. It has a much more complex engine than Morrowind, no doubt about that. But I don't say it can't be done and I would really love to see it happen. ;)
DMJC

Post by DMJC »

I found four replacements for Speed tree in about 5 mins of searching online. All four are GPL. Most require knowledge of Java to port to c++. Havok could be replaced by Bullet as mentioned earlier. The way I see it, Bethesda will never port Tamriel games to Linux, we're better off getting the ports started/going ourselves (frankly I think OpenMW should adapt the Xoreos model of one engine, many games). At least implement everything except the face generator and we can look at either reverse engineering that later, or adapting something. The important thing is to build the project momentum and get as much implemented as possible. That will drive in developers and once people start seeing videos of Oblivion/Skyrim content working in a mostly playable state we can hopefully tap into the mainstream modder/developer hype around Oblivion/Skyrim. When you hit a certain size, missing tech ceases to matter because you'll pull in so many developers/mainstream coders that someone will either reverse engineer the feature, or design/implement it from scratch.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/pplant/

https://sourceforge.net/projects/ngplant/

http://arbaro.sourceforge.net/

https://sourceforge.net/projects/treegen/
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

It's not necessarily that it'd just need a procedural tree generator, but that it produces similar trees to those in vanilla Oblivion. For example, it might be the case that there's a narrow canyon with trees in it that relies on the trees being a very specific shape in order to make something either passable or impassable. If we go putting in trees which differ at all, it might be the case that the player can climb out of the map or can't get somewhere they need to.
Biboran

Post by Biboran »

Are you did some tests with Fllout 3/NV meshes?
openmwfan27

Post by openmwfan27 »

rstevenson1976 wrote:I'm in the camp of fork the open mw project post-1.0 and create open oblivion independent of open mw. but this all seems to be "they shoulds" and not "I will"
I personally disagree. Post 1.0 when the de-hardcoding is done i think the effort is better placed into a single project rather then trying to create a fork of OpenMW for every FO / ES game, after all OpenMW is supposed to be a game engine that can be used to create other games, not *just* for playing Morrowind. I feel distributing the effort across several projects would not be as beneficial as making OpenMW the best game engine it can be.

Exactly how this would be done though i'm not sure, i'm not a game engine developer so i've got no idea on how feasible the above is.
Biboran

Post by Biboran »

>every FO / ES game
I agree, but only for games that use gamebryo/creation engine
Because classic fallout games and bethesda XN games very different from gamebryo games and they had they own projects
openmwfan27

Post by openmwfan27 »

cc9cii wrote:Bleak Falls Barrow - unrelenting force

It would be awesome to see in-game screens or video footage of these assets, the shaders in 0.39 should make them look even better :D
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

I was wondering about that too...