Climbing and Spiderclimb

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Greywander

Climbing and Spiderclimb

Post by Greywander »

I know climbing is already on the list of features to be implemented post 1.0, but I thought I'd expand on that with the potential of implementing a "Spiderclimb" spell effect.

I'm not sure what the plan is for implementing climbing, but I had a few thoughts on how it could be done. The game could use the slope of the surface (steeper = less climbable), the type of material (smooth glass vs. rough stone), and possibly the actual geometry ("rougher" geometry with bits and pieces such as window ledges jutting out makes climbing easier) in order to determine the "climbability" of a surface. The higher the climbability of the surface and the higher your Climb skill, the faster you would move while climbing, up to a maximum speed equal to your walking speed. If your climbing speed is 0 or less than 0, you can't climb that surface.

I'm unsure if having a particularly high Climb skill should allow for climbing across ceilings or not, but it should allow for the climbing of completely vertical walls (and possibly slopes greater than 90 degrees).

Spiderclimbing would work slightly differently from normal climbing. For one, you can climb any climbable surface, with slope and geometry no longer being a factor. Second, your climbing speed is always the same, and only dependent on your Climb skill. Thirdly (and optionally), the camera would orient itself so that the surface the character is adhering to is considered to be "down" (meaning that if you crawl along the ceiling the camera will be upside down) (perhaps normal climbing should work this way, too?). A character with the Spiderclimb spell effect would transition smoothly from normal climbing to Spiderclimbing when the character's normal climbing speed becomes less than what their Spiderclimbing speed would be (meaning that they can climb faster than their Spiderclimbing speed on surfaces where normal climbing would be faster).

For now I'm going to see if it might be possible to hack in a spiderclimbing effect somehow, although I suspect this won't be possible and will require some kind of modification to OpenMW. Just the addition of a script command to check to see if the player is colliding with something (terrain or actor) would probably be enough; I can make the player levitate as long as they're colliding. I imagine such a command would likely find other uses, too.