simple request: display name of currently playing music

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
finagle

simple request: display name of currently playing music

Post by finagle »

I get tired of hearing the same tracks over and over again, so I like to add lots of music to my morrowind install. Sometimes I realize the music doesn't really mesh with the atmosphere of morrowind when I'm playing, so I want to remove it. Problem is, doing that when you have a lot of files is tedious because you have to remember the music, play through your files until you find the piece, and then get rid of it. If there was a way to display the name of the currently playing mp3 in the corner of the screen, either via console command or menu option, that would be extremely handy.
Sterling9578

Re: simple request: display name of currently playing music

Post by Sterling9578 »

finagle wrote:I get tired of hearing the same tracks over and over again, so I like to add lots of music to my morrowind install. Sometimes I realize the music doesn't really mesh with the atmosphere of morrowind when I'm playing, so I want to remove it. Problem is, doing that when you have a lot of files is tedious because you have to remember the music, play through your files until you find the piece, and then get rid of it. If there was a way to display the name of the currently playing mp3 in the corner of the screen, either via console command or menu option, that would be extremely handy.

Just to comment on this feature, I think maybe this could work far past 1.0 but honestly I have never heard anyone say they dislike the Morrowind music to the point of being bored! lol
Chris

Post by Chris »

Sterling9578 wrote:Just to comment on this feature, I think maybe this could work far past 1.0 but honestly I have never heard anyone say they dislike the Morrowind music to the point of being bored! lol
Not 'dislike', but the lack of variety does make the music a bit repetitive. Morrowind actually has the least amount of music out of all the main TES titles, and it's not helped that it basically only has two playlists: 'combat' and 'everything else'.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

play through your files until you find the piece, and then get rid of it. If there was a way to display the name of the currently playing mp3 in the corner of the screen, either via console command or menu option, that would be extremely handy.
You can find the played music files in openmw.log.
finagle

Post by finagle »

scrawl wrote:You can find the played music files in openmw.log.
oh cool, that works too
robcbwilson

Post by robcbwilson »

Also, if you are playing in Windowed mode, you can see the current track playing displayed in the DOS box that runs when Open MW is open (assuming you are on Windows like me :) )
DrCuddlebug

Post by DrCuddlebug »

I personally always added a lot of tracks from other TES games into my music folder
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

First thing I do with any game is delete all music or set the volume to 0. It is not that I do not like music, I love all sorts of music, but not in games. It is so unnatural to have random music playing wherever you walk, especially if you are trying to sneak.
Chris

Post by Chris »

I like music when it helps to properly set a mood. Better Music System is practically a must-have mod for me because it greatly expands not only the amount of music, but also the number of playlists so you get more appropriate songs in different scenarios (no more does a haunted dwemer ruin have the same music as a bandit cave, or the open plains, or a murky swamp or ..).

There was another newer audio mod that does something similar, but unfortunately both require MWSE which OpenMW doesn't provide compatibility for.

I really only consider turning off music when there's a really good ambient soundscape in the game, such that it doesn't become deathly quiet.