FPS Limiting, Triple Buffering, Batching Toggle, OpenAL HW

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
FiftyTifty

Re: FPS Limiting, Triple Buffering, Batching Toggle, OpenAL

Post by FiftyTifty »

psi29a wrote:
MajinCry wrote:Edit: Got that the wrong way 'round; I DO have the 32 bit version, but not the 64 bit one.
And? :D
Sorry 'bout the delay. Went ta bed.

I extracted the 64 bit ct_oal.dll file from the OpenAL installer (yay for 7zip) and placed it in my System32 folder; didn't make a difference.

Also tried placing the 64 bit OpenAL32.dll file (W-Why is it called OpenAL32 even though it's 64bit!?) in my System32 folder; that didn't make a difference.

Supposedly, there is an OpenAL64.dll file kicking around; Minecraft comes bundled with one. But the creative installers do not provide it.

I wonder if it's not OpenMW, but just that OpenAL is majorly cocked up; not even the OpenAL device display program that comes with the OepnAL SDK detects my soundcard as hardware; just as a generic software device.

Bleh.
Chris

Post by Chris »

MajinCry wrote:Supposedly, there is an OpenAL64.dll file kicking around; Minecraft comes bundled with one. But the creative installers do not provide it.
That's just a renamed 64-bit DLL, likely so it can be put in the same directory as the 32-bit OpenAL32.dll. Why the 64-bit version is called OpenAL32.dll by default is anyone's guess, but AFAIK OpenGL on Windows does the same thing (OpenGL32.dll).

Out of curiosity, where did you get the 64-bit ct_oal.dll? The openal redist doesn't seem to have it. In fact, it only seems to have the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of OpenAL32.dll and wrap_oal.dll. Are you sure the ct_oal.dll you placed in system32 is a 64-bit dll?

Also, what if you try the 32-bit OpenMW? Does it pick up your hardware device then?
FiftyTifty

Post by FiftyTifty »

I got the 64 bit ct_oal.dll from my soundcard's .exe installer; opened that up with 7zip and extracted the driver from the amd64 folder.

Ya get ct_oal.dll from your creative soundcard's driver installer.

Haven't tried 32bit OpenMW. I'll test that out.

Edit: Tested the 32 bit version. It also uses "Generic Software". On a tad further investigation, it could be that Vista and upwards don't support HW accelerated audio APIs...For games at least; found one post by some forum's developer stating such.
Chris

Post by Chris »

MajinCry wrote:I got the 64 bit ct_oal.dll from my soundcard's .exe installer; opened that up with 7zip and extracted the driver from the amd64 folder.
Wonder why it wasn't installed by the installer. Makes me think the 64-bit driver may not be compatible with the specific device and/or Windows version.
Pop000100

Post by Pop000100 »

MajinCry wrote:After much lurking, I have returned. Infants shall cry, men shall scream and women weep.

3. Surprisingly, OpenMW makes use of batching. Now, whether it uses dynamic or static batching, I don't know; my guess is that it uses dynamic batching due to the short render distances and cell (un)loading. Dynamic batching is costly in terms of performance, as it is performed every frame. A toggle for this would be appreciated; even if it actually worsens performance, perhaps it can be used as another variable in gauging performance on different hardware?
the

use static geometry = true

line in settings.cfg?