Barter and trade expansion request.

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
RounCole

Barter and trade expansion request.

Post by RounCole »

Hello, I have been playing Morrowind for a long time and I have a number of thoughts to share but for the moment my chief concern is for the bartering system.

What I have loved about the bartering system that unfortunately doesnt exist in newer games is the ability to toss up all the items that you want to buy and sell then have a total given to you for what the transaction requires.

I would like to see transactions such as enchanting and armor smithing added to the barter system as items in a transaction. This isnt a concern so much as haggling the price, but rather that having an enchanted item made costs an extreme amount... In contrast, there are a great many items that are 10k+ in value that simply cannot be sold/traded without extreme measures...

Logic would be in a free market (Not corporate rigged prices) where bartering occurs, that not only the amount payed, but also the means of payment would be diverse. So lets say I get ahold of a piece of armor that sells for 40k minus the barter drop you come out to about 30-35k depending on skill level. I should then be able to get three enchantments of about 10k or ten enchantments of about 3k and what ever the difference is made up in coin.

I have found myself in situations where I have wanted an enchantment worth about 130k and having a good 200k worth of stuff in my pocket... Not having the gold, I cant make the enchantment, but I can still pay for it... This situation has led to me amassing vast fortunes just to make enchantments, and only after I have collected the items needed to re-obtain the gold just spent. I find this process immersion breaking because of the sheer enormity required in this process... In the real world, an adventurer would offer items of extreme value as a barter (or bribe) to get a wide range of things accomplished. I see no reason why this should not apply here...

Something else that I have been thinking about that I would really like to see added, is more realism in coinage. Something that I have noticed, especially in other elder scrolls titles is that gold is actually worth less than other metals as coins, yet worth more as an ore... I also find it very immersion breaking when something simple like a loaf of bread is worth even one gold coin considering how valuable gold actually is...

What I would like to see (As I have already seen in a skyrim mod) is that the basic coin used as 'gold' would be renamed 'copper' and have silver and gold coins added to the world that are bartered at a fixed value because they are a valid and accepted form of currency. I would also like to see the same thing apply to dwemer coins as well.

oh, and coin weight of .01 would be a nice touch for realism as well.

This portion might just need to end up as a mod, but all the same it is something that I would really like to be looked into. I dont have the technical skills to do this kind of stuff myself, otherwise I would have pursued it myself.