BSA INI Stuff

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
SquireNed

BSA INI Stuff

Post by SquireNed »

So I'm installing some random mods on OpenMW to see if I can kill it dead check for compatibility, and one thing I'm noting is that Tamriel Reborn has a specification in its readme to enable a BSA in the Morrowind INI files. I'm sure this has been asked before, but I don't recall the answer.

How does OpenMW handle this? I've found a solution that I think works, but I'm not sure it was necessary.
Zini

Re: BSA INI Stuff

Post by Zini »

Either re-import the modified ini file or manually add the bsa to openmw.cfg.
Pherim

Post by Pherim »

Why not include a function to scan the data files folder for BSA files and register them automatically? I have absolutely no clue of programming, but it doesn't sound like a very hard thing to do.
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

I manually added the BSA file to openmw.cfg and everything was working fine.
Pherim wrote:Why not include a function to scan the data files folder for BSA files and register them automatically? I have absolutely no clue of programming, but it doesn't sound like a very hard thing to do.
I seem to remember searching the filesystem as being somewhat problematic in certain ways when doing a programming thing a while back, but I was using PHP which has its own security concerns with that.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Pherim wrote:Why not include a function to scan the data files folder for BSA files and register them automatically? I have absolutely no clue of programming, but it doesn't sound like a very hard thing to do.
Because you don't want every single BSA file; depending on what content files you are playing. It's not even guaranteed that you will want the 3 standard BSAs (for example if you are playing a TC).
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

Zini wrote:
Because you don't want every single BSA file; depending on what content files you are playing. It's not even guaranteed that you will want the 3 standard BSAs (for example if you are playing a TC).
There should probably be an OpenCS feature for "require BSA" so that this can be bypassed at a per-mod level; most people nowadays are so used to the click-and-play Nexus mods styled modding that's become standard that they may not be familiar with this sort of process.
vv221

Post by vv221 »

My 2 cents: What about a menu similar to the ESP/ESM one for BSA files, in omwlauncher?
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

Or that. Really, anything to keep from having to manually edit an INI.
Zini

Post by Zini »

We are moving away from the manual BSA selection (post 1.0 feature). Therefore I consider it a waste to spend time on it. I am sure people will get by with reimporting the ini file or manually changing the cfg file for a while.
vv221

Post by vv221 »

Zini wrote:We are moving away from the manual BSA selection (post 1.0 feature).
Out of curiosity, what are the plans for BSA handling post 1.0?
(I’m quite sure you already posted about this, but I can’t find the thread)