Perk tree ideas?

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: Perk tree ideas?

Post by psi29a »

If you want to develop OpenMW further, then yes... c++

To write a mod, do what you were doing originally with Morrowind. No C++ skills are necessary to mod OpenMW.
ezze

Post by ezze »

I have hard time seeing the difference between "develop further" (in a post-1.0 sense) and modding...

From what I understand OpenMW has (or will have) support for mods, so definitely one can write mods as it did for Morrowind. But if one needs something more or different (e.g. sane Get/Set statistics function) I need to make a pull request with a C++ patch since it would change the engine.
DarkAnsem

Post by DarkAnsem »

ezze wrote:I have hard time seeing the difference between "develop further" (in a post-1.0 sense) and modding...

From what I understand OpenMW has (or will have) support for mods, so definitely one can write mods as it did for Morrowind. But if one needs something more or different (e.g. sane Get/Set statistics function) I need to make a pull request with a C++ patch since it would change the engine.
well, but if one will simply want to add a new armor, no further development will be required, on the engine part. unless it's for eyecandy.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Here is a difference, from the point of view of Morrowind:

A mod is anything you can do with the engine, as-is without modifying the engine.

Anything that tries to change the functionality of the engine by way of a dll or patching the Morrowind engine isn't a mod by that definition, such as MGSE. It was a hack with very nice features. There are some mods that take advantage of these features that didn't exist in vanilla Morrowind.

Instead of a hack, now we have the ability to develop and add features to the engine.

I suspect there will come a time, where someone puts forth a tremendous amount of effort to add a feature into OpenMW that can be used by mods... and it be rejected by OpenMW developers. Maybe the feature strayed too far away from the spirit of Morrowind, just being hypothetical here.

That is the moment that you'll start seeing forks of OpenMW, which isn't a bad thing. It just means you'll have a totally different gaming experience than what OpenMW was meant to achieve.

There are many Morrowind mods that work, right now, out of the box, without modifications (haha) with OpenMW.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

psi29a wrote:I suspect there will come a time, where someone puts forth a tremendous amount of effort to add a feature into OpenMW that can be used by mods... and it be rejected by OpenMW developers. Maybe the feature strayed too far away from the spirit of Morrowind, just being hypothetical here.
I can imagine it being somewhat like OpenTTD which has a huge settings panel.

edit: "someonewhat" is not a word.
Last edited by Okulo on 04 Sep 2014, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Huge setting panel? Bah! We can beat that. OpenCS probably can in its current state (or could if someone had implemented all the planned settings already) and OpenMW will eventually.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

Having to fire up OpenCS every time you want to change advanced settings is kinda annoying, though. Seems like it has a better place in the program itself.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Huh? Don't understand what you mean. Of course you set OpenCS settings in OpenCS and OpenMW settings in OpenMW.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

Then I don't understand what you meant earlier, that "OpenCS probably can do better than [OpenTTD's large advanced settings panel] in its current state (or could if someone had implemented all the planned settings already) and OpenMW will eventually."
Last edited by Okulo on 04 Sep 2014, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.
Zini

Post by Zini »

General boasting about user settings dialogue size? I thought that's what we are doing here.