Why not a complete open-source game ?

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
MrSiuol

Why not a complete open-source game ?

Post by MrSiuol »

Hello !

I like the elder scrolls and the free game :)
But OpenMW must load the textures of Morrowind so it is not a real game :(

Why not replace the textures of Morrowind by the complete texture pack: Morrowind Overhaul :?:

I hope I don't have make many spelling mistake :roll:
(I am french)
raevol

Re: Why not a complete open-source game ?

Post by raevol »

Hello!

OpenMW has to load a lot more than just textures in order to play Morrowind. It also has to load models, animations, scripts, sounds, music, artwork, and I'm sure even more things. We can't distribute any of this content, as we do not own it. We also couldn't distribute "equivalent" content, since it would be basically plagiarizing Bethesda's materials.

Morrowind is a great game, and is pretty cheap! It's worth it to just buy a copy.
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

Plus, OpenMW can be used for its own complete games; it just doesn't have any freely available games at the moment because of the massive undertaking that making such a game would be, especially when one considers the subsequent need to keep it up to date as OpenMW progresses.
ezze

Post by ezze »

I hope a project of make a new completely free game will start once OpenMW reaches 1.00

Projects like tamriel rebuilt show there is the will and the ability of writing huge open worlds...
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

There is still the openmw-example-suite... it is just waiting on people to try to improve it.

We are also waiting for the point where openmw doesn't require ALL the assets from Morrowind... at least that was what I was last told. ;)
ezze

Post by ezze »

I stand corrected, when OpenMW and OpenCS reach 1.00
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

The Example Suite is actually waiting on a more fleshed out OpenCS and is going to be significantly scaled down from it's previously lofty goals ;)
ezze

Post by ezze »

About the second part of your question. Unfortunately to be totally safe from any legal problem the new textures must be considered derivative works of the originals so cannot be put under free licenses.

The only hope is a whole new Tamriel-like world that keep the feeling, but actually has nothing in common with Tamriel. Like what they did for Thief with The Dark Mod.
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

ezze wrote:About the second part of your question. Unfortunately to be totally safe from any legal problem the new textures must be considered derivative works of the originals so cannot be put under free licenses.

The only hope is a whole new Tamriel-like world that keep the feeling, but actually has nothing in common with Tamriel. Like what they did for Thief with The Dark Mod.
Technically, the new textures being derivatives depends on what they're doing. I'm not entirely familiar with the Morrowind Overhaul, but just because they're usable interchangeably does not make them derivatives. I've looked over a couple of the texture packs they use and it looks like they'd be fine for standalone use (though you'd need new models, which would have to be designed to be compatible with the textures which were defined to be compatible with the old models, which sounds like a nightmare because it is), but you'd really be better off starting from scratch for practical, not legal, reasons if you wanted to make a redistributable OpenMW game. OpenMW loads a lot more than just the textures; we're not talking about the free Doom reimplementations that can get by with less; everything in Morrowind's assets that isn't strictly mathematical can be assumed to be copyrighted, and as such would need replacing, and that includes even the world of Morrowind's geographical data, all its characters, so on and so forth (unless, of course, you can prove that they are faithful replicas of real things, which is basically impossible).
ezze

Post by ezze »

I am not a lawyer, but this is what I was told(here), when I wanted to use the Quake Mission Pack 2 --Dissolution of Eternity-- high-quality texture remakes for a level of mine in the dark mod.