Make currency extensible

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Greendogo

Make currency extensible

Post by Greendogo »

This is a real simple idea;
  • Make currency extensible:
  • Allow the creation of more than one currency (beyond just gold)
  • Allow editing NPCs to use specific currency or currencies
  • Perhaps allow cells to have control over their NPC's currency usage so that the worth of items is displayed in the local currency
  • Allow for money changers with different rates based on disposition and a "rate" value specific to the NPC (all professional NPCs should have this IMO).
DarkAnsem

Re: Make currency extensible

Post by DarkAnsem »

I agree with this. perhaps also gold expansion, so the game feature gold, silver and copper coins :D
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

Perhaps when allowing NPC's to use different currencies, include items as valid currency. For instance, an archaeologist may be willing to sell things exclusively for ancient Dwemer coins (lame example, but I'm kinda tired).

I definitely like all the things listed, though, particularly the cells adjusting value. I think that should apply not only to currency but also to general item types as well, which could produce some interesting economics.
Digmaster

Post by Digmaster »

Having any item be a currency could be fun, so like a trapper deals exclusively in animal pelts or a mining shop in iron ore. Should be easy, as gold is already in the inventory, so perhaps an npc specific setting for what they'll trade in, and a cell specific setting for what to use for value in your inventory. Then just use the value-in-gold field for whatever item as the "exchange value".
Tes96

Post by Tes96 »

Digmaster wrote:Having any item be a currency could be fun, so like a trapper deals exclusively in animal pelts or a mining shop in iron ore. Should be easy, as gold is already in the inventory, so perhaps an npc specific setting for what they'll trade in, and a cell specific setting for what to use for value in your inventory. Then just use the value-in-gold field for whatever item as the "exchange value".
You can kind of already do this just by selling the merchant something and getting gold for it and then buying something else with the gold he gave you for it. It's the same concept. X item is worth this much so you can only take from me what is worth equal or lesser value.... except there is gold exchange in between to show the amount.
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

Yes, but in order for that to truly have them not use gold, they have to have no gold, which means that if they're, say, hoarding gold and only offering items in exchange, they'll just happily give up their gold in standard MW after the player has sold them something if I'm correct.
Tes96

Post by Tes96 »

SquireNed wrote:Yes, but in order for that to truly have them not use gold, they have to have no gold, which means that if they're, say, hoarding gold and only offering items in exchange, they'll just happily give up their gold in standard MW after the player has sold them something if I'm correct.
Just seems like more trouble than it's worth.

If I have bear fur that is worth 20 gold, and that's all I have with which to trade, and I want to buy a lantern that is valued at 5 gold, do I cut 1/4 of the bear skin with my knife and hand it to the merchant? The way the game is designed it's much easier and makes more sense with the money system. But if your trading system can work effectively than sure, go for it.

I'm more interested in the copper and silver coins idea. That sounds interesting although I'm not sure how you'd implement it. Perhaps 50 silver pieces would equal one 1 gold and 100 copper would equal 1 gold, or something like that.

Copper and silver are never mentioned in lore, but then so are a myriad other things.
Again, this might be more trouble than it's worth.
Valkaiser

Post by Valkaiser »

Tes96 wrote:If I have bear fur that is worth 20 gold, and that's all I have with which to trade, and I want to buy a lantern that is valued at 5 gold, do I cut 1/4 of the bear skin with my knife and hand it to the merchant? The way the game is designed it's much easier and makes more sense with the money system. But if your trading system can work effectively than sure, go for it.
Who's to say that your bear fur is worth 20 gold? That mangy thing would barely fetch 2 gold at Balmora market.
I don't think you've looked very closely at these lanterns either. Casings grown on the Telvanni coast, guaranteed not to spoil! Glass produced by the incomparable artisans of Caldera. Why, they would be a steal at a mere 15 gold!
Now, you seem a nice enough chap, and an adventurer can't possibly get far without a proper lantern, so I'll tell you what I'll do. You give me that worthless skin, and I'll part with this superb lantern (with 2 complementary ounces of oil).
Is it a deal? :D

Anyways, some kind of barter system would be pretty cool, but I think the economy might need a major overhaul to make it work nicely.
Additional currencies might not be too hard. A goal worth pursuing methinks.
Tes96

Post by Tes96 »

Valkaiser wrote:
Tes96 wrote:If I have bear fur that is worth 20 gold, and that's all I have with which to trade, and I want to buy a lantern that is valued at 5 gold, do I cut 1/4 of the bear skin with my knife and hand it to the merchant? The way the game is designed it's much easier and makes more sense with the money system. But if your trading system can work effectively than sure, go for it.
Who's to say that your bear fur is worth 20 gold? That mangy thing would barely fetch 2 gold at Balmora market.
I don't think you've looked very closely at these lanterns either. Casings grown on the Telvanni coast, guaranteed not to spoil! Glass produced by the incomparable artisans of Caldera. Why, they would be a steal at a mere 15 gold!
Now, you seem a nice enough chap, and an adventurer can't possibly get far without a proper lantern, so I'll tell you what I'll do. You give me that worthless skin, and I'll part with this superb lantern (with 2 complementary ounces of oil).
Is it a deal? :D

Anyways, some kind of barter system would be pretty cool, but I think the economy might need a major overhaul to make it work nicely.
Additional currencies might not be too hard. A goal worth pursuing methinks.
Now if only dialogue were that unique for each individual NPC.