Sixaxis controller

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
bzz11g

Sixaxis controller

Post by bzz11g » 30 Jul 2014, 14:43

please add support of gamepads and SIXAXIS ps3 controller! its vary hard to play with out controller on devices with small screen ( <5'' )..

SquireNed

Re: Sixaxis controller

Post by SquireNed » 30 Jul 2014, 22:13

This is one of those features that is likely to happen eventually, but not immediately. The largest issue with it is simply how to interpret the input; someone could likely figure out how the Xbox version of Morrowind handled its controls and work an analogue into OpenMW, but I don't know if OpenMW's UI setup would play nice with them.

psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a » 30 Jul 2014, 23:13

Isn't this an OS thing?

Rumina

Post by Rumina » 31 Jul 2014, 01:10

I can't speak for whatever platform you're using a Dual Shock 3/Six Axis on. But on Windows to get a DS3 running you need to use xwrapper anyways. It makes your computer think it's an Xbox controller. So as long as it has basic controller support it should already have Dualshock support at least on Windows since you have to use a workaround to get a DS3 up and running to begin with. Even regardless of whether OpenMW natively supports a gamepad there's other ways around this.

psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a » 31 Jul 2014, 08:22

Like I said, that is a OS (platform) problem... key/button mappings are there to be used in Morrowind, it is up to you to make sure it is available for use.

K0kt409P

Post by K0kt409P » 31 Jul 2014, 11:29

psi29a wrote:Like I said, that is a OS (platform) problem... key/button mappings are there to be used in Morrowind, it is up to you to make sure it is available for use.
It's not an OS thing.

OpenMW's interface uses an actual cursor to navigate menus. This is not conductive to playing with a controller. Ideally OpenMW should detect when a controller is present and automatically switch to a cursorless interface. I believe SLD2 has this capability built-in (although the cursorless interface must obviously be designed first).

Chris

Post by Chris » 31 Jul 2014, 14:16

K0kt409P wrote:Ideally OpenMW should detect when a controller is present and automatically switch to a cursorless interface.
It should only switch to a cursorless interface when such an interface is enabled in the game or launcher options (disabled by default), not just present. It really annoys me when games see I have a controller plugged in, and assume I want to use it exclusively by default. Like, no.. I'm on a PC, and the default interface for a PC is keyboard and mouse. Some games work better with a controller, and I have one plugged in for such games, but that doesn't mean I want games to assume I'm going to use it (particularly games like TES, which inarguably work better with keyboard and mouse).

TheMechanist

Post by TheMechanist » 03 Aug 2014, 14:32

Isn't there a de-facto industry standard that says: If you move a stick/mouse or press a button on the input device, switch to the according controlling interface.....

SquireNed

Post by SquireNed » 03 Aug 2014, 22:18

Iunno if it's a standard. It's recommended, for sure, but I've only seen a few games that will actually switch on the fly, especially if you have both. It also depends on how different the interface is; some PC games have the same UI and you just change what drives them, which is pretty much moot.

bzz11g

Post by bzz11g » 04 Aug 2014, 20:26

Some games like GTA SA, Vice City, emulators: PPSSPP, Retro Arch support sixaxis controller with this app or free analog
These programs recognize what the controller is connected, and select the required control scheme
emulators is open-source, you can learn from the their experience in this matter..