Multiple file paths

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
onionland

Multiple file paths

Post by onionland »

I would like to see the openmw launcher be able to handle multiple installations of morrowind, or rather to have multiple data folders, making it possible to switch between them on the fly.
The possibility to enable/disable mods and expansions as in the original game is already great, but the problem is that they still share the same data folder, and as such many of the files in it.
The great thing about openmw being an independent program is that it is not as dependent on that the resources stay in the same folder, and for modders and those of us running major overhauls this would be a great, and potentially a relatively simple, feature.
/Onion
scrawl

Re: Multiple file paths

Post by scrawl »

You can already do this, there is just no GUI for it yet.

https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title ... stallation
Zini

Post by Zini »

Not yet and not in the future. While it is possible to manipulate the data path (and an acceptable workaround for now), the end user isn't really supposed to do that. We will address the problems you mentioned in a different way (that is a post 1.0 feature though).
onionland

Post by onionland »

Whilst it saddens me to hear that you wont be making this available to the end user i'm glad to hear of the existance of the feature, and that you will eventually be working on an alternative solution.
Thanks to both of you for taking the time to reply to me and letting me know of the existance of the feature, first thing i do when i get back to my computer will be to try it out, in the future i will be more searching more throughly before i contact you, and, of course, thank you for your work on this amazing engine.
/Onion
Markelius

Post by Markelius »

Could there be a launcher option to make the game prioritize files in the .bsa archives over things in the textures/meshes/icons folders? It's possible to run a completely vanilla version of the game plugins/masters wise but the game will still use graphics replacers. It'd be nice to have an option to disable these so you could easily compare/contrast with vanilla.
Zini

Post by Zini »

We could do that, but again not planned. You guys are thinking too close to the original game. The current situation with files just dumped into a directory is a mess, as you have correctly pointed out. No amount of adding small features and customization options will fix that. This issue needs a proper solution instead and we will provide that some time after 1.0. Spending time now on patching some holes in the sinking ship would be just wasteful.