Some simple console commands

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Markelius

Some simple console commands

Post by Markelius »

Just something I've always wanted from the game, simple console commands for testing weather.

Specifically:
  • Forceweather "region" 0 (instantly changes the weather without a transition)
  • getweather "region" (returns weather id which said region is using)
  • get gamehour (returns the time of day in it's 24h id, good for if you want to know the time and there's enemies around)
  • change skycolor 255,255,255 (instantly changes sky colour of current weather to inputted value, will reset when weather transitions or when game changes to sunset/night/sunrise/day)
  • change fogcolor (same as above, only changes fog colour)
  • change ambientcolor (same as above, but changes ambient colour)
  • change suncolor (same again, but changes sunlight colour)
  • change underwatercolor (same but changes underwater colour)
  • change cloudtexture "/texturepath.dds" (instantly changes clouds to use specified texture)
  • togglebrightlights (toggles bright lights similar to in Morrowind's Construction set)
I'd additionally like forceweather, changeweather, and getweather to have "currentregion" as an acceptable input. That would of course detect which region the player is in and apply changes to it. Good for if you want to test something but aren't sure what the region ID is (a lot of vanilla region IDs aren't the same as their ingame titles so it can be hard to remember, plus I can see this being helpful for if you are in a mod added region).

This would be great for testing out new weather on the fly and coming up with new weathertypes without even having to leave the game. I can't imagine the top ones would be very complex to add and would be extremely helpful. :)
Sartur

Re: Some simple console commands

Post by Sartur »

(I thought I'd join your suggestion thread instead of creating a different one for just a single console command.)

Something rather useful later Bethesda titles introduced: a console command to execute a list of commands contained in a .txt file.

I'll insert a slightly edited version of the Oblivion UESP page explaining it further:
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Console wrote:
  • bat <filename>
  • Executes the file with name <filename>
  • The batch file should be in your Oblivion installation directory (for example, C:\Program Files\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion) and may contain console commands separated by a line break.
If you are writing a series of commands in a textfile, to be executed with console command "bat" you can use the symbol ";" to indicate a comment, that will not be executed.

An example of bat-executable textfile:

Code: Select all

;Alchemy script for ingredients to resist poison.
player.additem 0003365C 1 ; Gives me 1 Alkanet Flower.
player.additem 00033673 1 ; Gives me 1 Dreugh Wax.
A nice addition (although not really necessary) would be the option to set an alternative path for the .txt files.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

We already have that as a command line option / openmw.cfg setting.

--script-run arg                      select a file containing a list of 
                                        console commands that is executed on 
                                        startup
Sslaxx

Post by Sslaxx »

scrawl wrote:We already have that as a command line option / openmw.cfg setting.

--script-run arg                      select a file containing a list of 
                                        console commands that is executed on 
                                        startup
He means, however, as not just a command-line option but as an option from the in-game console.
Sartur

Post by Sartur »

I gave the command-line option / config setting a shot.
It's a bit limiting, but should suffice to speed up testing.

On another note is there a way to create a pre-generated character via the console in Morrowind / OpenMW?
If you type in 'coc whiterun' from the main menu in Skyrim you get a pe-generated and equipped Nord character.
That in combination with a few files for the 'bat' command speeds up mod testing and bug hunting immensely.
So I guess both would become more useful once 1.0 is released and OpenCS is done.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

On another note is there a way to create a pre-generated character via the console in Morrowind / OpenMW?
You start openmw with the --skip-menu switch.
Sartur

Post by Sartur »

That's great - thank you.
I probably should have looked at the readme.txt beforehand. ;)