Option to Autosave after so many minutes

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Chris

Re: Option to Autosave after so many minutes

Post by Chris » 23 May 2014, 01:32

What I'd like to see is a system more like you see in online games. There is no explicit saving and loading, everything you do and everything that happens is immediately and irrevocably recorded for the character, so if you quit or even if the game crashes, the next time you load up it puts you right back where you were at the time.

Though for that to work, it needs a complete overhaul for player death. You can't treat death as a Game Over in a system like this without making it an ironman play-through, and that's a bit unnecessary. Perhaps you could do something like Minecraft does... when you die, you lose a bunch of experience/skills, drop everything that's in your inventory (including anything you have equipped, gold, etc), and respawn back at a certain location (like a temple, ala Almsivi/Divine Intervention, or your house or something). Things that make the player think twice about walking around with a million gold while decked out with unique legendary gear all the time is a definite plus, in my book.

ezze

Post by ezze » 23 May 2014, 09:59

Chris wrote:What I'd like to see is a system more like you see in online games. There is no explicit saving and loading, everything you do and everything that happens is immediately and irrevocably recorded for the character, so if you quit or even if the game crashes, the next time you load up it puts you right back where you were at the time.
I am not sure if it possible (with ease) to have a seamless saving. However this is how I would play the "save every 5 minutes and keep the last 12 saves" idea. If you die you restart in almost any moment in the last hour. Anything before is set in the stone.

Tes96

Post by Tes96 » 23 May 2014, 20:36

I always turn off autosave for all TES games. I wind up having hundreds of save files that I won't be using and I wind up deleting most of them any ways.
Project-Tamriel

"If one is to understand the arcane arts, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic narrow view of the Mages Guild."

bahamut

Post by bahamut » 24 May 2014, 09:24

Little idea/alternative/post 1.0 for saving

Scripting possibilities for making savepoints and disabling traditional saving, could add some thrill to early game

Greendogo

Post by Greendogo » 24 May 2014, 09:56

Nice idea. Adding the ability to add checkpoints would be nice for TCs!

ezze

Post by ezze » 24 May 2014, 10:27

I personally never understood games with savepoints and no normal saving. I find stupid that is impossible to leave the game anytime without losing the last part of game play.

silentthief

Post by silentthief » 24 May 2014, 17:27

ezze wrote:I personally never understood games with savepoints and no normal saving. I find stupid that is impossible to leave the game anytime without losing the last part of game play.
I have to agree with this. Either you have "automated" checkpoint saves which just happen when you get to a certain physical place in the game which means when you get to a new area and explore you use them up before needing them or they save at the wrong time (example I give: Die by the sword gameplay is, according to Lazy-Ass-Gamer's youtube demo of the game, riddled with autosave issues. The first two minutes of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1qspLftThg shows a perfect example)

-OR-

you have a floating jewel object that you touch (tomb raider earliest games) that saves and can be used up before you need them and also breaks any semblance of immersion.

ST
ps, I'm all for the player taking responsibility for saves. But if you have to have some, then just autosave every so often, settable by player. 0 = never, and you could enter 5, 10, 15 minutes or something like that.
"You like to dance close to the fire, don't you?."

psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a » 25 May 2014, 09:32

silentthief wrote:ps, I'm all for the player taking responsibility for saves. But if you have to have some, then just autosave every so often, settable by player. 0 = never, and you could enter 5, 10, 15 minutes or something like that.
I like this.

However, I hope you take into account that each save is rather large and likely to grow as time passes.

I would suggest either:
1) One auto-save slot that is updated ever so many minutes as above.
2) A two-list system, left side is your auto-saves that cycles through say... 5 of your auto-saves. Anything older gets automatically deleted. On the right side is the user-triggered saves, those stay "forever". An option to clean this up would be nice too.

PS: Having played things like Witcher on hard, I died a lot... so that means I saved a lot. Each save was between 20~30 MiB in size. After 20~30 hours of play, saving ever 5 minutes is about 10GiB. Seriously? I rarely went back more than 15m in saves, so anything before that is wasted. What I find surreal is that if I compress the save, I can usually get it down to 2~3MiB, I don't know why games don't do that. I'm too impatient these days for a HDD, so my systems are SSD and those come with a premium when it comes to space. The less wear and tear the better.

MithrilLeaf

Post by MithrilLeaf » 25 May 2014, 20:01

I personally found that the Knights of the Old Republic games handled autosaving fairly well, they had an autosave if you haven't had one recently enough upon cell change, plus a quicksave and a standard named save system.
I would also agree that 5 is a good number of autosaves to keep, although having that as a user set variable right under the number of minutes per save would be nice as well.

Digmaster

Post by Digmaster » 26 May 2014, 04:55

MithrilLeaf wrote:I personally found that the Knights of the Old Republic games handled autosaving fairly well, they had an autosave if you haven't had one recently enough upon cell change, plus a quicksave and a standard named save system.
I would also agree that 5 is a good number of autosaves to keep, although having that as a user set variable right under the number of minutes per save would be nice as well.
I agree that this is probably the best system. Have a countdown though, so it'll save every 5 minutes on cell change. Only issue is if you stay outside a long time, as changing on exterior cell change would only make the long cell transition problems even worse.

A cool feature here would be be having a singular autosave in the load game menu which loads normally, but with an arrow that opens up the previous five autosaves or so.

How I've seen multiple autosaves implemented is to have each one numbered: EG "Autosave-3", and once the max number is reached to start over from the beginning.