Option to Autosave after so many minutes

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Chris

Re: Option to Autosave after so many minutes

Post by Chris »

corristo wrote:@Chris
At least you can run away safely in this case :shock:
Depends on how close you are, how fast and strong they are, and where the terrain/geometry allows you to go.
cc9cii

Post by cc9cii »

Don't go into tough battles without an amulet of recall! (buy from a trader in Caldera)
TheMechanist

Post by TheMechanist »

Maybe the feature design can use this as an example for the saving feature : http://www.oblivionmodwiki.com/index.ph ... Streamline
Markelius

Post by Markelius »

I don't see the problem with including a feature that autosaves the game when entering combat. Very often I'll wander into a fight only to make a couple wrong moves such as fail at dodging a spell or timing my attacks wrong and end up dying, having an automatic save would be extremely helpful for this as I wouldn't be stuck going back to whatever my last hardsave/the last timed save was.

If you don't like it, you could just turn it off.
BlueFootedBooby

Post by BlueFootedBooby »

Markelius wrote:I don't see the problem with including a feature that autosaves the game when entering combat. Very often I'll wander into a fight only to make a couple wrong moves such as fail at dodging a spell or timing my attacks wrong and end up dying, having an automatic save would be extremely helpful for this as I wouldn't be stuck going back to whatever my last hardsave/the last timed save was.

If you don't like it, you could just turn it off.
I get what you're saying, but I think it's the exact opposite of what's usual and intuitive for open world RPGs. If you ask a random player "when does this game autosave" I'd expect at most most one in ten people to say "at the start of combat." Even if I'm wrong about that there are absolutely cases where it could get you in trouble. Having the option is great, but I really think it should default to off.

I think the single most important feature to add would be segregating saves for each character such that it's impossible to save over another character's save. Like, you click the save or load button and the list doesn't even show you saves for other characters. Load would have a button that says "load save for different characters" that would take you to the other lists.

Ideally you wouldn't even be able to save over another character's save via the console, which is something I do accidentally on a routine basis in Skyrim (which is why I keep redundant saves).
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

I think the single most important feature to add would be segregating saves for each character such that it's impossible to save over another character's save. Like, you click the save or load button and the list doesn't even show you saves for other characters. Load would have a button that says "load save for different characters" that would take you to the other lists.
... we already have that.
Rumina

Post by Rumina »

Personally I dont see much use in a timed auto-save mechanic. Between hard saves, auto-saves, and quick-saves I think thats more than enough.

A timed save throws in a huge variable which makes it sketchy. It could never be relied on because it may save right in the middle of what you want to load before. Or you may end up having to redo the last 10-20 minutes of gameplay. I kind of feel like it adds a false sense of security to the player when really you should just be quick saving to begin with. I mean.. if people really find that ideal then I guess its worth thinking about but it doesnt seem optimal to me.

However, I can see the merit in having an option to set the maximum number of quick-saves. Anywhere from 1-10 or something. The game will delete the oldest and save the newest. If you hit quick-load it would load the most recent save. If you wanted to use the others you could manually do so in the menu.
Digmaster

Post by Digmaster »

An option to save every X number of minutes on cellchange would probably be the best solution (If not in combat aswell)

An option to save when entering combat/leaving would be fairly easy to implement
ezze

Post by ezze »

Rumina wrote:A timed save throws in a huge variable which makes it sketchy. It could never be relied on because it may save right in the middle of what you want to load before. Or you may end up having to redo the last 10-20 minutes of gameplay.
I do not understand, it all depends how often you put the autosave. If you put it every two minutes with at most 30 saves, you can always go to the last hour of gameplay or lose at most 2 minutes.

About the topic, I am afraid we forgot the "hardcore way," no saves a part of "Save and leave."
vv221

Post by vv221 »

ezze wrote:About the topic, I am afraid we forgot the "hardcore way," no saves a part of "Save and leave."
I don't think it needs to be implemented.
I always play Morrowind that way, even if there is no "Save & Quit" button.

If you want to play that way, you can do it even with a "classic" save system.