Weather Effects on Screen

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Mistahtokyo

Weather Effects on Screen

Post by Mistahtokyo »

This is obviously meant for post-1.0, but I thought I'd ask this in case it inspires someone.
Would it be possible to create screen effects that react to the weather? Like blurry water droplets accumulating on the screen if you look up while raining, or blurry dust particles if you look directly at an ash storm, etc?
wheybags

Re: Weather Effects on Screen

Post by wheybags »

That's not how eyes work ;_;

seriously, though, I doubt this will be added by the devs, but someone might come along and do it if they want (maybe you? :P)
heilkitty

Post by heilkitty »

I'm pretty sure that such effects are possible even now with MGE (to some extent) and they will be in the future with OpenMW. But - via mods. This stuff is beyond the scope of OpenMW project, IMHO.
Mistahtokyo

Post by Mistahtokyo »

I never said it was how eyes worked? I don't know about you, but unless I'm using an Oculus or some VR, I find it more believable to think of myself playing games as though watching them through a camera/window, than directly. Hence me wanting the visible effects on screen. I don't have a HUD in my eyeballs telling me my inventory status/what I'm holding either, but I don't mind that.
Chris

Post by Chris »

There's other screen effects that could be done that are a bit more realistic. The Wet & Cold mod for Skyrim, for example, will 'flash' and blur your vision temporarily when looking up into the rain, as if a drop of water hit your eye rather than a pane of glass.
wheybags

Post by wheybags »

But my eyes are incredibly good at blinking when something like that almost happens :P