Readme & FAQ Suggestion

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
wheybags

Re: Readme & FAQ Suggestion

Post by wheybags »

I'd mention that the license it is released under makes this legally possible.
pvdk

Post by pvdk »

I'd say this is a non-issue, since people who are able to write code and send us a pull request are usually aware of code licensing. And people who mention ideas here should be happy if we decide to implement them, because that's usually the reason why they mention ideas in the first place: to have them implemented.
taknamay

Post by taknamay »

Yeah that's what I was thinking, most modders aren't programmers and most programmers (using this engine) I imagine would understand the license. Still, maybe there should be a disclaimer for the least common denominator.
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

Everyone keeps saying that this isnt needed. Will it like burn a hole in the txt document or something? haha
I think I would liken this to those obvious warnings they put on stuff. Like "Do not drink" for various chemicals, and I have even seen one that said "Do not use this product if you can not read". You dont think it should be there because people arnt that dumb. But you would be wrong.
pvdk

Post by pvdk »

Well these texts are there because Americans tend to sue everyone and everything if they get the chance. I do not think we're at any risk if we do not have such text and it always bothers me when I see a stupid warning message, so I'd really like not to have a warning like that in the readme. Instead we could spend our time and energy on more important things, like correcting the grammar and spelling of the FAQ for instance.
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

I like your vista pvdk.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

@ezztabi

Don't play a pervert.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

pvdk wrote:Well these texts are there because Americans tend to sue everyone and everything if they get the chance. I do not think we're at any risk if we do not have such text and it always bothers me when I see a stupid warning message, so I'd really like not to have a warning like that in the readme. Instead we could spend our time and energy on more important things, like correcting the grammar and spelling of the FAQ for instance.
The idea of this was not for legal reasons. It was for our community specifically, so our project doesn't get ostracized if we reappropriate someone else's alteration to OpenMW into the base code.

Really, the Morrowind community has shown itself to take the "Get Permission" mantra very seriously; but you were right in an earlier post that it's likely the people making alterations to the game code are aware of how the licensing works. So we're probably good.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Something sweet and to the point:
No content/assets will be used or shipped with OpenMW without the express permission from the authors/copyright holders and are free of restrictive licenses. All code is covered under GPLv3 license.
This should show the intent of OpenMW and how content relates to it. This includes not just the binaries, but the other things we ship like shaders and fonts.