OpenMW versus MW: swimming

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Tarius

Re: OpenMW versus MW: swimming

Post by Tarius »

Chris wrote:
Tarius wrote:Flowing water like cloth?
Like the rivers in Skyrim. The actual water animation is oriented in the direction of the flow, and when you're floating in the water you get pulled along with the current.
Oh ok. Well I dont know much about Skyrim water beyond having seen it in the game. I would suggest though that volumes of force be something that is generally allowed. I think I have suggested this in another thread. A space where you can specify a force be applied to push the player. So you could even make it appear that gravity is varied.
The flowing cloth is more an idea for how the surface of the water could react.
Markelius

Post by Markelius »

On the topic of water, being able to affect water with destruction magic would be pretty cool. Casting a fire spell could heat the water and cause fire damage to npcs/creatures in it, frost spells could freeze/cool down the water, spark spells could electrocute it, and poison spells could poison the water for a limited time.

Implementation of something like this would be nice, considering asides from on touch spells, destruction magic is pretty useless when battling in the water.
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

Markelius wrote:On the topic of water, being able to affect water with destruction magic would be pretty cool. Casting a fire spell could heat the water and cause fire damage to npcs/creatures in it, frost spells could freeze/cool down the water, spark spells could electrocute it, and poison spells could poison the water for a limited time.

Implementation of something like this would be nice, considering asides from on touch spells, destruction magic is pretty useless when battling in the water.
Hmm, I dont know, I think this at the very least needs to be added by mods or something. Firing into a lake isnt going to do much to someone swimming in it unless you hit like within a couple feet of them. So it would be more like firing destruction spells into water adds a limited area effect.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Cold damage could make ice of water. That would be interesting. As a mod.
Markelius

Post by Markelius »

@Tarius & sirherrbatka, what you described is kind of exactly what I had in mind. The stats of the spell would affect water differently. In addition to this, different spells would affect the water and have certain advantages over another. Poison would have a longer affect duration but do less damage, shock would have a very large AoE and do more damage but wouldn't last as long, fire would do more damage but wouldn't last very long or have much AoE, and lastly frost would have less AoE but last the longest and do a medium amount of damage.

Of course this isn't something that would need to be implemented in 1.0, moreso as a mod. It would just make gameplay a lot more interesting and better for mage characters since destruction spells tend to be rather useless in the water as the game is now.