Enhancing dialogue behavior pre-1.0

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Lazaroth

Enhancing dialogue behavior pre-1.0

Post by Lazaroth »

I was going to create a bug report on container dialogues not closing when pressing the activation button when I thought that it might be a good idea to expand the idea further.

The above behavior is standard vanilla Morrowind (but not present in OpenMW), but what I am suggesting is a couple of behaviors that are not standard, but should be both rather quick to implement as well as easy to understand from a user perspective since they are used in e.g. Skyrim. They also save time, since you don't have to manually click everything.

Proposition:

1. The current highest open dialogue (e.g. persuasion is higher than speak dialogue) should close when pressing the activation key. This includes speak dialogue, spell shopping dialogue, persuasion dialogue etc.
2. Pressing the "Ready Weapon" button should "Take all" when inside a container dialogue. When inside a barter dialogue it should act as "Offer".
sirherrbatka

Re: Enhancing dialogue behavior pre-1.0

Post by sirherrbatka »

topic moved…
Zini

Post by Zini »

More keyboard shortcuts for the GUI are probably desirable, but I would want that configurable (including the ability to switch it off). Therefore post-1.0.
Lazaroth

Post by Lazaroth »

I can understand that, and that eliminates #2.
#1 is however just an extension to vanilla behavior, so it applies to all dialogue windows and not just the speaking dialogue.
nnayo

Post by nnayo »

yes, a simple shortcut would a very big ergonomy enhancement.
it is really painful to point and click to quit discussion menus
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Why not just set activation key (space by default) to close open dialog window when pressed?
TorbenC

Post by TorbenC »

sirherrbatka wrote:Why not just set activation key (space by default) to close open dialog window when pressed?
That's the suggestion.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Ah right, sorry. I should be carefull.
evercharmer

Post by evercharmer »

The idea of having more dialogue-related buttons is a good one, but please don't implement it like Skyrim did, that was horrible. I should be able to set dialogue shortcuts separate from in-game controls if I so choose; it makes no sense that with a whole keyboard at my disposal that I can't put some of these other buttons to use.