Different items handling or stealing (post 1.0)

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
ezzetabi

Different items handling or stealing (post 1.0)

Post by ezzetabi »

In morrowind the items are essentially "free to take" or "take it and everyone will try to kill you." I think more states can make the game more interesting.

At the moment an item is on the world or on the inventory, I was thinking it could be nice to have another state like "on hand" where you can watch the item, move it freely (TDM style) and eventually put in the inventory or place it back.

In shops for example you might be allowed to keep an item in hand and place it back. But not put it in the inventory or move away.

It is well possible to make it more complex: for example worthless items might be stolen in small quantities (forks from the guild for example); or shops owner might get annoyed if you move items around. But just adding the third state might be a nice add.
Rhys

Re: Different items handling or stealing (post 1.0)

Post by Rhys »

So you want to pick up the glass dagger and 'test' it out on the shopkeeper, then put the dagger back and not be reported for stealing? :lol: Makes sense I suppose.
Zedd

Post by Zedd »

I think he means that the 'on-hand' label on items is just to examine it without changing the ownership, being able to enter a state with items from your inventory or from the world around you. This will allow the player to examine the object more closely by being able to rotate/zoom. As I said it won't change ownership/position and thus won't be seen as a crime to check out the items in like a store.

I must say I would very much like this to be implemented. There isn't a way to closely examine items in vanilla morrowind and this would make it more interesting to put more detail in textures as for hints in like quests.
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

In something related to this which may or may not have been mentioned already(possibly by me) would be taking note of line of sight or sound proximity so the "last witness killed" feature from Skyrim could be implimented by modders.
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

It is a Zedd said.
abcd_z

Post by abcd_z »

Zedd wrote:I think he means that the 'on-hand' label on items is just to examine it without changing the ownership, being able to enter a state with items from your inventory or from the world around you. This will allow the player to examine the object more closely by being able to rotate/zoom. As I said it won't change ownership/position and thus won't be seen as a crime to check out the items in like a store.

I must say I would very much like this to be implemented. There isn't a way to closely examine items in vanilla morrowind and this would make it more interesting to put more detail in textures as for hints in like quests.
Yeah, I could go for that. The very first time I played Morrowind I got killed by the shopkeeper in Seyda Neen because I picked up an item trying to examine it.
TorbenC

Post by TorbenC »

This would be a great idea but I personally believe it would fit more in the modders realm (engine modders that is, note that there will be a whole new class of modding Morrowind when OpenMW hits 1.0).