Detailed landscapes (more texture points and texture layers)

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Logitech

Detailed landscapes (more texture points and texture layers)

Post by Logitech »

Here is my request for OpenMW engine:
Please consider getting rid of Morrowind engine limitations that prevent us from creating more detailed landscapes. Morrowind texture placing is much blockier and less precise than in later TES games. Low amount of available layers is also a problem that often results in seams that occur when landscape textures fail to merge correctly.

Morrowind cells are 4 times larger than Oblivion ones (8192x8192 units vs 4096x4096 units).
Total number of texture points each Oblivion cell can hold: 34x34=1156 points
Total number of texture points each Morrowind cell can hold: 16x16=256 points

So, in 8192x8192 units area Oblivion can store 68x68 textures compared to 16x16 in Morrowind. Also Morrowind engine is incapable of seamlessly blending more than 2 types of land texture. Oblivion offers up to 9 texture layers for each of quadrant (17x17 grid of textures).
Tes96

Re: Detailed landscapes (more texture points and texture lay

Post by Tes96 »

swit1 wrote:Here is my request for OpenMW engine:
Please consider getting rid of Morrowind engine limitations that prevent us from creating more detailed landscapes. Morrowind texture placing is much blockier and less precise than in later TES games. Low amount of available layers is also a problem that often results in seams that occur when landscape textures fail to merge correctly.

Morrowind cells are 4 times larger than Oblivion ones (8192x8192 units vs 4096x4096 units).
Total number of texture points each Oblivion cell can hold: 34x34=1156 points
Total number of texture points each Morrowind cell can hold: 16x16=256 points

So, in 8192x8192 units area Oblivion can store 68x68 textures compared to 16x16 in Morrowind. Also Morrowind engine is incapable of seamlessly blending more than 2 types of land texture. Oblivion offers up to 9 texture layers for each of quadrant (17x17 grid of textures).
Wow, I didn't know all that. Morrowind cells are 4x larger than Oblivion yet Oblivion can hold almost 5x as many texture points. Would this be an issue that OpenMW engine would handle or Ogre3D? I forget what the difference is. Is Ogre3D the graphics rendering part of this project?
sirherrbatka

Re: Detailed landscapes (more texture points and texture lay

Post by sirherrbatka »

Commit that was merged today allows to use any number of textures on terrain. In theory.

We may need to extend data files format.