Necessary Features?

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
ezzetabi

Re: Necessary Features?

Post by ezzetabi »

Tarius wrote:Hmm, why has no one ever implemented something like an exponential decrease in level attribute gain? Or at least I havent seen it or something like it very often. Basically, the higher up you go the less your stats can increase. This would effectively cap things without actually capping them, as you would still gain a bit per increase; just not something that would cause your health and such to balloon to god like levels.
I can tell you why it is so rare, In short: Morrowind engine sucks. Long: the scripting system is very limited. And there is no direct moddability of skills. Scripting system functions about skill work fairly badly. For example if you use "setskill" on a skill increased (by items) or decreased (by curses) the skill value will be broken.

There are workarounds, but they works only with some assumptions, for example you are pretty much fucked up if you have a character with both a curse and a enhancing item) and so to keep changes in the skill system meaningful is extremely difficult and bug prone. Beside your skill mod will be much more complex and difficult to update than logically necessary.
You can see my try:
http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/V ... il&id=9009
but you most probably fall in some problem soon or later.
potatoesmaster wrote:I remember there was a mod to exchange the effect of successful and failed actions on level progression. This way it was easy to improve a skill for beginning, then difficult when you get better at it.
I made that mod too! But for the same reason told before it cannot work well as it should be. It needs to detect failures from sounds...
http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/V ... il&id=8955
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

Wait, you made it? Oh, I didnt know that.
Husaco

Post by Husaco »

I'd personally just would like to see the joystick handled better in OpenMW. The joystick worked just fine in Morrowind... until you opened up any kind of dialogue box at all, kind of a common occurrence in RPGs, where you had to use a mouse to navigate the menus, rendering the whole joystick thing pointless. Not sure how difficult that would be, but it'd be nice to use something similar to the Xbox set-up without the horrors of using an Xbox :P
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

Tarius wrote:Wait, you made it? Oh, I didnt know that.
Now you do. :D
AFreakinProblem

Post by AFreakinProblem »

Ancient thread, but I'm replying anyway. Aside from the obvious mod support, I think there needs to be an optional system built into the engine to allow manually raising a shield. Such a system would by default (unless mods are installed, etc.) be true to how the rest of vanilla combat works, giving you a chance to block instead of guaranteeing the enemy won't get a hit on you.
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

AFreakinProblem wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 19:12 there needs to be an optional system built into the engine to allow manually raising a shield
Morrowind does not have suitable animation groups for this feature. An engine side of this feature is easy to implement.
The same thing with weapon parry.