Necessary Features?

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Simsoy

Necessary Features?

Post by Simsoy »

What features do you think NEED to be implemented into OpenMW? I know, we all have lots of requests for new skills, graphical improvements and such but lets talk about things that should have been in Morrowind from the start of 2001, not some mod we'd like to confirm.

I was thinking that all pieces of armor that have a left or right (except for gloves) I would also like to see ragdoll physics so we can move things around and proper hit detection on all objects including combat. And finally, can we do something about static NPCs blocking doorways?
WeirdSexy

Re: Necessary Features?

Post by WeirdSexy »

I'm afraid you've posted a impractical thread. We either need to talk about things that should have been in Morrowind from the beginning, or we need to talk about things that NEED to be implemented in OpenMW. Just because some of us feel that something should have been in vanilla Morrowind doesn't mean it's a good idea to implement it natively in OpenMW. Some stuff should be left to modders.
Simsoy wrote:I was thinking that all pieces of armor that have a left or right (except for gloves)
Is this supposed to be its own sentence? If so, what do you mean?
ragdoll physics so we can move things around
I don't care about this, but I certainly wouldn't mind it.
proper hit detection on all objects including combat
What do you mean? Getting rid of the "dice roll" in combat so that "a hit is a hit"? I wouldn't mind making that default behavior, but others might. Might also get us into the nasty business of re-balancing weapon damage. Might be better suited as a mod.

I just want a better journal in the default OpenMW.
I like to see a mod that gives us active blocking, I do not like the automatic blocking in Morrowind.
Br0ken

Post by Br0ken »

Simsoy wrote:proper hit detection on all objects including combat
I don't like default Morrowind combat system with "dice roll". It's really stupid: chop the enemy, but don't hit him. :|
"A hit is a hit" system is more realistic: I can hit the enemy, but the effectiveness of attack depends on skills and weapon.
Hit detection on all objects also would be a great feature. For example, inability to use a long weapons (halberds, spears, longswords etc.) in narrow passages will force to switch on other weapon. Or use only thrust attack. Or lure the enemy into a more spacious area.
More tactics. ;)
WeirdSexy wrote:I like to see a mod that gives us active blocking, I do not like the automatic blocking in Morrowind.
Totally agree!
Zedd

Post by Zedd »

I've got a lot of things I can think of which I would like to see, but they are rather small and not really game-changing.

- enable zooming on minimap, being able to add markers, a compass, direction notification on the compass (thus being able to 'activate' markers).

- I'd like to see absolute hp/magicka/endurance numbers on the bars, maybe also dmg done/taken notifications.

- A customised window when pickpocketing an npc similar to the inventory window of the player, showing some stats (sneak lvl dependant) and also being able to give items (could be quest related).

I don't mind the dice roll combat system of Morrowind, changing this will take a hell of a lot of other things with it that have to be edited to keep everything balanced. I'm not sure about the manual shielding, if we would implement this, would this also be a dice roll whether you succesfully block? or will the blocking dmg be level dependent? In the first case there wouldn't be any change with the vanilla MW though, except you feel like you have more to say ;).
Ragdoll physics? Why not, but I fear this is something that will require a lot of coding time.
Br0ken

Post by Br0ken »

Zedd wrote:changing this will take a hell of a lot of other things with it that have to be edited to keep everything balanced.
Morrowind has always been pretty unbalanced. ;)
Zedd wrote:I'm not sure about the manual shielding, if we would implement this, would this also be a dice roll whether you succesfully block? or will the blocking dmg be level dependent? In the first case there wouldn't be any change with the vanilla MW though, except you feel like you have more to say .
For example, with manual shielding, attack on the shield does:
- damage to the shield
- damage to the fatigue

Then "Block" skill may:
- reduces damage to the shield
- reduces damage to the fatigue
- increases speed of the block

Similar system used in "Mount & Blade: Warband".

By the way, UESP says "Shields will not protect you from ranged attacks (either magical or otherwise.)".
Even against arrows? :shock: What a nonsense! I didn't know that ...
TorbenC

Post by TorbenC »

I highly disagree with adding anything like ragdoll physics and "a hit is a hit" combat into OpenMW natively... reason being is that they weren't in the vanilla Morrowind and both of these sound slightly game breaking as apposed to an improvement (I see very little improvement to this with a game like Morrowind).
Ryz

Post by Ryz »

I also think that the Morrowind dice-roll combat system should stay the same. If it were to be changed to an on-hit system, Agility and Luck would end up being much less important compared to other stats.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Any changes will be optional and not default. Most of this stuff will need to be modded in anyway (ragdolls will require extra data in the models to specify rotation extents, for instance, while replacing the hit-or-miss mechanic will require rebalancing weapon and skill-based damages). All OpenMW would do is make mods like this possible.
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

It is very difficult to answer to this kind of topic, what is "wrong" in the original game is different for everyone.

I dislike the original level-up system, for me there should be no caps, but the skill should grow logarithmically (slow and slower). Skills should go down if you do not use them (to a min of the half of their max value). Attributes similarly tied to skills. No level-up window that break immersion and makes your sleep habits nonsensical. The difference between Major, Minor skill should not exists. You just decided skill where you are more able from background and that is. (I already spoke deeply about this in the past, I stop here ;) )
My level-up system solves some of problems, but it is a lost cause using the broken default Morrowind. OpenMW is the chance to make my dream true :)

Cities should feel more alive, Morrowind seems too much a world frozen in time. NPC doing noise, going around and such are a must for me. Also NPC interaction should be better, in vanilla MW you can be the leader of an organization and yet no-one will respect you. Antares Big Mod and few other mods solves this problem nicely.

Similarly ecology should more immersive, herbivorous animals should not normally attack the player; even carnivorous ones should attack rarely. Of course animals can react aggressively or fleeing if you attack them and linger around too long. Beside animals might become more aggressively when the plague become more intense. Again there are mods that make ecology fairly well.

Sneaking, in Morrowind is horrible. And it is unacceptable as Thief showed how to do it years before. Of course the Thief lightgem and the enemy AI should integrated with the skill system. But it should be not a problem, higher skill means less noise and darker gem.

Spells, some spells make some skill useless. Open Lock and Telekinesis make Security useless for example. In general I love the idea of spell making and item making, but something in the game is way off.

Alchemy, the ingredients seem disconnected to the usual potions you find in the world.

Icons, the potions and the scrolls too much look alike each other. I found a great mod in the past where each potion has a nice and easy to identify bottle.

I like the Morrowind Vampires, but I would like some more possibility to interact with NPC.

Fight... ok admittedly, it is a common problem in RPG. But the melee fighter and sooo little choice compared to the wizard. It is a problem known from the '70... Come on, more moves, combos, tricks to learn (both doing and blocking), whatever to make the fight more interesting than: click click click.

Those are on the top on my head.
raevol

Post by raevol »

I just want some sort of visual indicator of when a mob has aggroed on you, so I can shut the music off and listen to my own tunes without having a cliffracer chase me halfway across the island.