Here's what I assumed everyone was wanting, at least from a gameplay perspective:
- Client/Server Model: One player hosts the game, they are the Nerevarine. Other players join this server as freelance adventurers to aid the host.
- The freelance adventurers do not have a journal of their own. If they have access to the journal at all, it would be only to read a copy of the Nerevarine's. After all, they are not questing themselves, they are only aiding the Nerevarine.
- Each player has their own inventory. There should be a way to share items between players. There should be some check in place to disallow non-Nerevarine clients from sharing/equipping plot (or maybe even unique) items or bringing them into the server at all.
- I don't see any reason players should have to "stay together". Players could split up to accomplish tasks faster if they split up. Obvious freelancers shouldn't be allowed to complete quests for the Nerevarine or perform actions that require you to be the Nerevarine to do. For example, a freelancer should be allowed to actually "turn in" to a quest giver for the Nerevarine or wear the Wraithguard. They could, however, travel back to town to sell loot or go to whatever ruin on the other side of Vvardenfell to find whatever artifact and bring it back while the Nerevarine is doing something else. So long as the freelancers task doesn't involve engaging in quest dialog.
- If you are doing singleplayer, the game pauses if you go into a menu. If you are doing multiplayer, the game doesn't pause if you go into a menu. Borderlands does this, for example.
- Only the Nerevarine can initiate sleeping/waiting. He can only do so if all party members are not in combat/are on solid ground, etc. Or, perhaps any player can initiate sleeping/waiting, but the host has to confirm it. "WeirdSexy wants to rest, is that cool?...". Obviously, all players are affected by time advancement.
- I'm not sure how to deal with crimes committed by freelancers. Perhaps the Nerevarine/rest of the party is only treated as criminals if they are seen with with the offending member. There's also the issue of serving jail time to consider. This could be a complicated issue.
- I don't care how freelancer savegames/inventory/stats are affected after they leave the server.
- Probably a bunch of other stuff I didn't think of at this moment in time.