EDITOR: Region generation

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Ruarl

EDITOR: Region generation

Post by Ruarl »

For post 1.0 I think we should probably look at implementing region generation so modding on TES3 becomes faster. Not a high priority, but something we must look into.

Edit: Placing each individual tree and rock by hand takes a whole lot of time and is sometimes unnecessary.
Osidian

Re: EDITOR: Region generation

Post by Osidian »

Ruarl wrote:For post 1.0 I think we should probably look at implementing region generation so modding on TES3 becomes faster. Not a high priority, but something we must look into.

Edit: Placing each individual tree and rock by hand takes a whole lot of time and is sometimes unnecessary.
I think this kind of feature might be useful, but I have to disagree with hand placing stuff being unnecessary. Everything being hand placed, instead of computer generated, is part of what makes Morrowind environments so good. Hand placed by a good modder is always better than the stuff a computer can come up with.
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

Osidian wrote:
Ruarl wrote:For post 1.0 I think we should probably look at implementing region generation so modding on TES3 becomes faster. Not a high priority, but something we must look into.

I think this kind of feature might be useful, but I have to disagree with hand placing stuff being unnecessary. Everything being hand placed, instead of computer generated, is part of what makes Morrowind environments so good. Hand placed by a good modder is always better than the stuff a computer can come up with.
I am also in favor of generating stuff by computer as a way to quickly fill in stuff. There is nothing wrong with going through by hand later on if you really want to.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

This has been discussed before.
Ruarl

Post by Ruarl »

After deeper investigation, I found the topic that you created that covers this. (Integrated Grass layout tool) :oops:
Well, if the team is already aware of this request then I'm happy.

One a somewhat similar topic of trees, I would like to add another suggestion:

After I played a bit on the new released map of Tamriel Rebuild I ran into problems with the vanilla map. If a modder adds a lot of trees to an area to simulate a forest, the leaves of the trees covers the whole map. This makes it unnecessary hard to navigate, which is the primary function of a map.

I wonder if it is in any way possible to make the leaves of trees transparent on the map, so you can see the floor?
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

Ruarl wrote:After deeper investigation, I found the topic that you created that covers this. (Integrated Grass layout tool) :oops:

After I played a bit on the new released map of Tamriel Rebuild I ran into problems with the vanilla map. If a modder adds a lot of trees to an area to simulate a forest, the leaves of the trees covers the whole map. This makes it unnecessary hard to navigate, which is the primary function of a map.

I wonder if it is in any way possible to make the leaves of trees transparent on the map, so you can see the floor?
Possibly if you can have the map ignore alpha textures when its being generated.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Nice idea Tarius, that would solve that problem. Maybe put a toggle button on the map that says "Hide leaves" or "Hide Alpha Textures" (too out-of-game, I'd think, for the map).
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

Osidian wrote:
Ruarl wrote:Hand placed by a good modder is always better than the stuff a computer can come up with.
... might be true... but far too many modders are more egomaniacs than good in placing assets. Beside the computer can give a place to start.
Tes96

Post by Tes96 »

Ruarl wrote:After deeper investigation, I found the topic that you created that covers this. (Integrated Grass layout tool) :oops:

In regards to the map but irrelevant to the original post, I would like the ability to toggle off or disable the minimap in the bottom-right corner and the world map. This is more modder based than code based I assume. I think it would be great to not be able to view the world map until you buy an actual world map from a vendor. Kinda like the Guides scrolls you buy. I love getting lost and not knowing whether I'm heading North or South just makes it that much more adventurous. I know you can console TM and turn everything off but then your inventory is invisible, too!
Br0ken

Post by Br0ken »

Generated realistic environment in Mount & Blade: Warband mod - Polished Landscapes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVoDXFmeros

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egblsus7R1A