Idea's for open mw

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
Chris

Re: Idea's for open mw

Post by Chris »

cdoublejj wrote:Instead of guessing what cells you might enter can't it just work of pure proximity or would that load to many cells?
Too many cells. Just loading the default number of cells can be harsh enough on some systems, but adding more on top of that can really make it crash and burn.

I don't think the answer is in guessing and pre-loading cells. What I think needs to be done, at least for external cells, is to be able to load cells in the background and let the game continue to run even when the cell isn't fully loaded. The idea is that the player will be in a loaded cell with a good number of cells loaded around them, so when a new cell needs to load, it will be fully loaded by the time the player can get close enough to care. The game should then only ever need to stop if the player actually tries to enter a cell that isn't fully loaded (e.g. because they're moving way too fast, or they teleported to a new area).

In addition to that, better cell cache handling would help for those times when you're constantly going between the same cells. Recently unloaded cells would remain in a cache so they can be quickly retrieved again if the player goes back, while the oldest cache entries would be dropped when new cache entries would push it over some memory budget.
cdoublejj

Post by cdoublejj »

sounds logical reasonable to me. sounds like "pop in" maybe some of you have played GTA SA, if you drive fast enough you can see cars just "popping" (spawning) out of no where which is a lot better than lots of half second load bars and as said if you are moving fast enough.
ZafotheNinja

Post by ZafotheNinja »

But, suppose I had a couple TB of memory that I managed to install in my computer...
WeirdSexy

Post by WeirdSexy »

ZafotheNinja wrote:But, suppose I had a couple TB of memory that I managed to install in my computer...
Sure, if you had an infinite amount of infinitely fast memory, an infinitely fast processor, and an infinitely powerful GPU, you could load the whole game + Tamriel Rebuilt into memory with no LOD system and just have all NPCs and creatures active and functioning everywhere at once. Mite b cool.
ZafotheNinja

Post by ZafotheNinja »

Yes! That would be epic... Too bad I don't have such...