Climbing Skill for OpenMW

Feedback on past, current, and future development.
jhooks1

Re: Climbing Skill for OpenMW

Post by jhooks1 »

Personally I am more interested in having real animations for climbing stairs. Resident Evil and Shenmue (damn good game for the old dreamcast 8-) ) have them.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

^5 for dreamcast reference. :)
nopoe

Post by nopoe »

If I have any say in the matter, there will be no collision glitches to exploit in OpenMW. Right now I'm working on making it so you simply cannot climb things that you shouldn't be climbing. A climbing skill is obviously outside the scope of this project, but I can see it being a good addition.

Oh. Important note! Acrobatics determines the maximum slope you can climb, so in a sense Morrowind already has a climbing skill. It's not implemented in OpenMW yet, but that's definitely something that's going to happen if I can get around to it before the 28th when classes start again.
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

nopoe wrote:If I have any say in the matter, there will be no collision glitches to exploit in OpenMW. Right now I'm working on making it so you simply cannot climb things that you shouldn't be climbing. A climbing skill is obviously outside the scope of this project, but I can see it being a good addition.

Oh. Important note! Acrobatics determines the maximum slope you can climb, so in a sense Morrowind already has a climbing skill. It's not implemented in OpenMW yet, but that's definitely something that's going to happen if I can get around to it before the 28th when classes start again.
Lets not overstep things now. How are you going to determine what you can and cant climb? All MW had was a limit on the slope angle that could be climbed.
nopoe

Post by nopoe »

All MW had was a limit on the slope angle that could be climbed.
Morrowind had more than that. Stairs, for example, are vertical but you can climb them. I could go into how I'm doing things here if you'd like (it's actually really interesting but a bit OT), or if you want you could look at the code directly.
https://github.com/nopoe/openmw/blob/cr ... solver.cpp

It's still a mess and honestly I'm not happy with how things are working. You don't slide along walls as well as I'd like. But I'm working on it! Other than that things are going quite smoothly. :)
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

nopoe wrote:Stairs, for example, are vertical but you can climb them.
Isn't their physics representation actually a slope? Looks like that with tcg at least.
nopoe

Post by nopoe »

I think it depends on the stairs but I can't tell you for certain because OpenMW isn't installed on this machine. I can tell you however, that steps are not slopes. Look in the Favel Ancestral Tomb if you want an extreme example. Those stairs/steps are simply impassable without a step function.

I should have just said "steps" in the first place... :oops:
jhooks1

Post by jhooks1 »

Not exactly Nopoe, the stairs in "Favel Ancestral Tomb" are mostly a slope, then a very small flat at the top. After the flat there is the 90 degree angle ~27 step. Stairs in Morrowind are unusual, with many different visual and physical representations.

Some stairs are strictly a slope as far as I can remember.

Stepping does seem to be essential to climbing stairs though, and any rough terrain really. I am not sure if acrobatics influences more than slope angle.
nopoe

Post by nopoe »

Hm, I never looked there with tcg on but the behaviour was enough for me to say that there was at least one huge step.

Anyway the point is that there is more to movement than just slope. Even if I'm really bad at coming up with examples to show that, haha. Sorry for sort of derailing this thread.
Tarius

Post by Tarius »

I see max slope = 70 there. I assume that is in degrees and if so, that is plenty. I think MW had a max of like 45, not entirely sure though.